Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When typing in iOS 7.1, spaces are randomly added in before or after punctuation

Since updating to iOS 7.1 I've been frustrated by the fact that my phone has started, seemingly randomly, inserting spaces into text I'm typing before or after punctuation I type. I've been unable to identify a pattern aside from the fact that it only happens when I'm trying to insert a piece of punctuation like a ) or ( or !. It doesn't happen all the time but it crops up quite often when I'm texting. Is anyone else experiencing this? I've yet to see anyone else talking about this online (here or elsewhere).

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 2:50 PM

8 replies

May 12, 2014 7:56 PM in response to Twitch2021

I'm having exactly the same issue and have tried the same troubleshooting steps to no avail. It happens mostly when I'm trying to add an apostrophe or similar to a word, and I end up with spaces in the middle of the word, either before or after the punctuation mark. It is definitely making texting very irritating.

On another note, I've had my device replaced under warranty for an unrelated issue (faulty sleep button), and have had this issue on BOTH devices. This leads me to believe that it's a software rather than hardware issue. I'm currently running 7.1.1

May 12, 2014 7:59 PM in response to nme88

Since this problem isn't just in my head (as your troubles prove) I'll put in an update. This is still happening to me and since my last post I, too, have had my phone replaced for unrelated issues (stuck pixels on the screen). When I got the new device I decided to try starting fresh instead or restoring from a backup to see if that would clear the issue. It didn't and I'm now at a complete loss.

When typing in iOS 7.1, spaces are randomly added in before or after punctuation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.