Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slideshows not working after transferring from old Mac Book Pro

I recently bought a new Mac Book Pro (10.9.2). I moved over all my photos from my old Mac Book Pro and while all of my photos and albums are intact, none of my slideshows are. The photos play sporadically and the music and Ken Burns effects no longer work. I have no problem creating new slideshows from new or the old photos but I don't want to have to re-do my 40 old slideshows. Am I barking up the wrong tree thinking they should be intact and working? Any suggestion on how tho fix this.

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2 GHz), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 2:55 PM

12 replies

Mar 26, 2014 9:02 PM in response to Old Toad

Both my Albums and Slideshows were carried over when I moved the photos from the old Mac Book to the new one. They are being played from the slideshow folder with music and Ken Burns effects which I originally created on the old Mac Book. My identical iTunes library was moved over to the new computer also.

How did I move them? Not with the migration assistant. Just by dragging the photos into the new iPhoto window and copying them. Could this be the problem?

Mar 26, 2014 11:25 PM in response to Barry Drake

Yes.

To move an iPhoto Library to a new machine:

Link the two Macs together: there are several ways to do this: Wireless Network,Firewire Target Disk Mode, Ethernet, or even just copy the Library to an external HD and then on to the new machine...

But however you do choose to link the two machines...

Simply copy the iPhoto Library from the Pictures Folder on the old Machine to the Pictures Folder on the new Machine.

Then launch iPhoto. That's it.

This moves photos, events, albums, books, keywords, slideshows and everything else.

Mar 27, 2014 5:52 AM in response to Yer_Man

I used the last method. I copied the iPhoto Library to an external hard drive and then on to the new machine. It SEEMED to work perfecly. All the photos showed up, all the albums and slideshows were present in the left column. I can access the photos from the albums but the slideshows don't work properly. Most of the pictures don't play (they are blank) and there is none of the music or Ken Burns effects that I had originally. I deleted all the photos and tried the same process a second time but still the same result. The second time, I used the iPhoto Updater and followed the instructions but the result was the same. Again, I have no problem creating new slideshows or even re-doing the old slideshows but I would rather not go through that process. I have over 6,000 photos and 40 slideshows. Any more suggestions?

Slideshows not working after transferring from old Mac Book Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.