Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use airplay speakers in multi-output device without crackling audio?

Hi,

I would like to mirror the audio output from my mac mini to the built-in output and an airplay speaker.

Therefore I added a Multi-Output Device containing the Built-in- and Airplay output, as soon as I activate the airplay speaker the sound is mirrored but unfortunately always with a crackling sound coming of the speakers set as "slave Device"... only the Device set as "Master Device" has clear sound, doesn't matter if it's the airplay speaker or the speaker (or headphone) directly connected to the built-in output.

I've tested this with a mac mini and an mac book air as audio source, same problem. Both were running Mac OS V. 10.9.2.

Does anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong?

Greets

Chris

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 3:15 PM

20 replies

Jul 14, 2014 9:39 PM in response to Chosse

I'm using a 2011 Macbook Pro running Mavericks and current Apple TV (MD199HK/A 3rd generation) when trying to output audio to both Apple TV and built-in output simultaneously I suffer crackling and popping. I have this issue once I use Audio MIDI Setup (under utilities) to create a Multi-Output Devise. Once I use this multi-output devise made up of Apple TV and Built-In Output to get my music to both output devises at once BUT I get crackling sound on either Spotify or iTunes.

I've worked around this issue by using AirParrot. I select Apple TV in AirParrot with Audio enabled. The Apple TV then takes all audio output, then I select the 'Multi-Output Devise created in 'Audio MIDI Setup' and I have playback through Apple TV and Built-In Output without any crackling or popping.

Only minor outstanding issue is that whatever scenario I then run Audio Midi Setup in terms of setting various devises as Master Clock and resampling of sub devise I can't perfect the sync between Apple TV audio output and my local Macbook Pro, but close enough with the slightest hint of echo. Plenty of forums discussing Word Clock sync which is out of my league. Un-ticking drift correction on the 'AirParrot' audio output has them close enough, depends on how easily you can hear your apple TV output from the room where your Macbook Pro is and vice versa.

. User uploaded file

Feb 7, 2015 3:04 PM in response to Chosse

Morning all,

Found a solution to play sound through multiple devices WITHOUT the scratchy, fuzzy, or clicking sounds.

• Open > Audio MIDI Setup
  • Add new device with the "+" in the bottom left corner of the window
  • Click "Create Aggregate Device" — Something is wrong with the "Create multi-output device" option, so don't use that.
  • Add the two (or more) devices you want to use as part of the new aggregate device. In my case, I'm trying to get audio to play through both the audio jack in my MacBook and wirelessly to a set of Bluetooth speakers. Notice, some of the devices will show up more than once if they have their own built in microphones, one as an "input" device and another as an "output" device. If you're trying to play music to them, add the device with output channels.
  • At this point, audio will go to one device (if the devices are stereo), because it is outputting audio to only two channels, instead of the (in my case) four channels: two channels through the audio jack, and two channels through the Bluetooth speaker.
  • In the bottom right hand corner, click the "Configure Speakers..." button.
  • Click the "Multichannel" button
  • In the dropdown menu, select "Quadraphonic"
  • Check both devices at the top of the box, and the mac will set you up with four outputs to send audio to all devices.

Honestly, I don't know if all channels are being played. I think what's happening is each device is either right or left audio, and the "3" and "4" channels just aren't being played.... But, it's better than hearing fuzz.

Also, from time to time, there is a little crackle, but very minimal, and only once in a while. Ultimately, Apple needs to fix all this, but a decent fix for now.

Enjoy!

Mar 27, 2015 1:16 PM in response to richardfromeugene

Thanks so much for the work on this. Followed it to the tee after experiencing the exact complaints as the OP—"master" channel (optical audio) playing clearly, while "slave" channel (Bluetooth speaker) played static-y when set to Multi-Output. Also, just FYI, on switching who was the master, the static switched immediately to the new slave.

Weird thing is that multiple people online are saying that Aggregate works just the same as multi-output, but I'm only getting audio out of one device at a time. Additionally, on following your quadrophonic instructions, no go. Still just audio from the one. Any thoughts?

Jul 20, 2015 8:22 PM in response to Chosse

Hi all,

i have exaclty the same problem: the horrible noise in the background. There are 2 scenarios, non of them is working for me:

#1 if I try with multi output i get the noise in the background in one of the outputs devices.

#2 if I try aggregate audio, I can't get any sound out of all but one device.

I am trying to stream audio to a TV through HDMI cable and to a bluetooth speaker on a macbook pro 2011 running Yosemite

At least, sound is perfectly synced between the 2.

Please help.

Thank you have a good day

Luca

Jul 25, 2015 12:57 PM in response to Chosse

I'm trying to get output on M-Audio FastTrack and an Bluetooth speaker at the same time and have the same problem with the noise. The noisy device is always the opposite of the master clock device. When using the aggregate device with quadraphonic mode instead of multi-output I only can hear the device configured as master clock.

I hope there will be a bugfix for this someday!

How to use airplay speakers in multi-output device without crackling audio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.