Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync and backup iPhone to new computer?

my Mac computer's hard drive crashed, and was restored from the latest backup date, which was about 6 months ago, so it is essentially a new computer. I want to update the software on my iPhone, and back it up to the computer. However, I'm afraid that by plugging it in to a computer it does not recognize will erase all content on the phone. When I plugged my iPod nano into the computer simply to charge it, even though I ejected it from iTunes, everything that was on the iPod (music, movies, etc.) was erased. I don't want to loose the content on my phone, so is there a simple way to back up an iPhone to a new computer without loosing any content (music, videos, photos, apps, etc.)?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 4:00 PM

2 replies

Mar 25, 2014 6:12 PM in response to emconway

Instead of backing up to the computer, can you do a backup to iCloud? Assuming you have room in iCloud for your backup, and room on your iPhone to do the iOS update over-the-air, this should work.

But someday you're going to have to face the music when you connect your iPhone to your Mac, so get your library back in shape as best as you can.

Sync and backup iPhone to new computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.