Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Checklist for Buying a used iphone

Hey,

I am about to purchase an iphone which was used previously. What are the things I should do before i make the purchase. Should the ownership be transferred from the current owners apple account into mine? If so, how can i get that done. Are there other things that I should look out for? Oh and in case anyones wondering. The phone under question is an iphone 5s which is factory unlocked. Please let me know on what should be done to ensure a trouble-free purchase.

Thanks in advance to all those who help 😀

iPhone 5s, Factory Unlocked iphone 5s

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 5:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 5:50 PM

Transfer money at an Apple Store or an outlet for the wireless carrier you will use. You need to ensure that the carrier has no liens against the phone (previous unpaid bills) AND that you can activate the phone under your own ID without a "cloud activation lock". Then hand over the money.

8 replies

Mar 25, 2014 5:55 PM in response to gokulfromon

Make sure the previous owner removes the information from the device and from iCloud as outlined in this support document. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5661 otherwise you will not be able to activate the device.

As far as transfer of ownership, are you taking over someone's cellular account, or just purchasing the phone? If you are just purchasing the phone, the Apple account has nothing to do with it.

If you have any other questioins, just post.

Checklist for Buying a used iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.