Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic backup of Aperture Library to iCloud (not limited by PhotoStream)

I am looking for a way to back-up my Aperture photo library to some kind of Cloud-Based service like GoogleDrive or iCloud. I could always do it manually but I am looking for something EASY and something back's it up constantly.

Right now my Apperture library is saved (an accessed on) a small remote 2TB Hard Drive.

My MacBook Pro only has 256 Gigs of Flash Memory to I can't really use it to store my massive Aperture Library and apparently GoogleDrive ONLY interfaces with computers and not remote or connected hard drives! So GoogleDrive is out I think...Can ICloud handle this? The 1,000 photo limit of PhotoStream is way to small!!!

What do you suggest? If I save the Aperture library to a remote drive like a TImeCapsule with a Hard Drive or an NAS it might be slow and again how is the Cloud going to back it up automatically?

I can't believe this can be so complicated...what am I missing here???

Thanks in advance if any of you have ideas...

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 8:20 PM

1 reply

Mar 25, 2014 11:51 PM in response to dkon44

I don't believe that you can do this safely. Apple point out that the Library needs to be on a disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and I don't know that any such service uses disks of that format.

The problem is that the Library isn't just a file or files but a rather complex ecosystem of interlinked databases, metadata and cache files, plus the photos and previews.

There are ways to back up the shots - and versions - in the Cloud, but not a LIbrary.

Automatic backup of Aperture Library to iCloud (not limited by PhotoStream)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.