Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change username assigned to Apple ID?

Going into prefernces there is no way to edit the username. Do I really need to create a berand new account and if I did can I transfer all the info that goes with it?

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 8:33 PM

15 replies

Mar 25, 2014 10:40 PM in response to smithrowe

You can not change the user login name (your email address) associated with an Apple ID. If you no longer have access to the email account itself, you can set up a new 'recovery email' to receive any communications from Apple, ie: password resets, purchase notifications. Apple will not allow you to 'transfer' or 'merge' purchases from Apple ID to another.

Mar 25, 2014 11:25 PM in response to alex.thorne

Thanks for the reply, no I can change the email associated with the Apple ID but the username that you see here when I am posting that is what I'd like to change.

I gather it is an apple support username prior to iTunes accounts as they are today.

I guess I'm hoping someone will know whether I can update it or if I have to cerate a new account and migrate all my itunes purchases over?

Mar 25, 2014 11:32 PM in response to smithrowe

Not sure what you are referring to? Your AppleID and your iTunes ID are one in the same. There is no "user name" associated with an Apple or iTunes ID, it is just an email address.

Unless you are saying you have a separate Apple ID and iTunes account ID?

Or, if you are saying that you would like to change your Apple/iTunes ID account name, then go to Manage your Apple ID, sign in with your password, go to your account information and Edit the Apple ID that is showing to a valid email address. Make that email address your primary email address also:

Apple - My Apple ID

Cheers,

GB

Mar 26, 2014 12:30 AM in response to gail from maine

Sorry I thought on my previous one I mentioned the username you can see above my posts ie. "smithrowe".

Like yours is "gail from "maine".

Its a username connected to the Apple ID although I only ever see it here in the communitiy forums, perhaps thats where it was cerated I can't remember.

As it is an old work one I just wanted to do the courtesy of freeing it back up for them.

Mar 6, 2016 6:21 AM in response to gail from maine

girl from maine,

My issue has nothing to do with the warning when you sign up. The fact that you get a warning (if anyone reads it), has absolutely nothing to do with what I I am saying.

The whole problem is that in reality, right now, a user can't change the user name. And my post was stating that people want this feature and why.

Not whether you read the warning or have "accepted your fate".

Of course there is a warning. This has nothing to do with my point and is more just you saying "They told you so" or something like that as if, just because I read all of the laws of the United States, I should be OK with all of them. Far from it. See how the two don't necessarily go together?

Some of us don't agree with rules just because they exist somewhere. Some of us like to try to change rules that don't make sense. It doesn't help to point out the rule again, as if I'm going to accept it because you did that.

There was no option to disagree with the warning, or to sign up with a non-permanent user name, so there was no other choice if I wanted to use apple communities.

The whole point I'm making is that, unlike you, many people create aliases that, in a month or a year or 5 years later, they don't like anymore, or it reminds them of something in their past or they just don't like it or have some new idea. The idea that one is locked into a name associated with themselves forever, due to some lack of programming at Apple, is what my issue is. Most other forums allow people to change IDs and therefore keep their history. This is simple computer programming and budget and prioritization of features.

And I'm just voicing my opinion which is that they should make that option available because people like to be able to change their alias.

It doesn't help me to remind me of some message I (maybe read) and had no choice about as if my problem is that I haven't accepted the apple religion or rules as you have.

<Edited by Host>

Mar 6, 2016 4:20 AM in response to medicinemanKE

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you spoke for the people. Must be a heavy burden.

It doesn't matter what other forums do and the option you had for the rule is to not join here. You use your Apple ID to participate here which is tied to other databases which makes changing the alias a bit more difficult. And since this is a reputation based system it becomes very confusing trying to remember who people are if they keep changing their alias.

I participate in some forums where usernames can be changed at whim, they are a moderator's nightmare. Plus puerile and some misogynist. Sort of like you. Perhaps you should stick to those sites.

Mar 6, 2016 9:05 AM in response to medicinemanKE

Oh, please. This is not a democracy, and the issue you are going on about is pointless. If you did not read: Click "Check Username" to make sure your username is available. Note: Your username cannot be changed after you create your account. then too bad for you.

And no, you don't have to be "OK" with the rule, just like you don't have to be OK with the laws of the United States. But if you don't follow them, then you pay the penalty.

We can't help you - these are the rules of the forum, and if you don't like them, then go elsewhere.

GB

How to change username assigned to Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.