Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyway To Make A Bootable DVD/Thumb Drive for Mac OS X 10.6.8?!?!

So My Macbook 10.6.8 does not have the Recovery HD drive... And me being a dumb ***, I couldn't find any other option (wasn't looking up the Right Stuff) , so I went to "Single Mode" in Terminal Then Typed in the "Sudo rm -rf /" command. Not completely knowing what may happen after, ALL I was aware of at the moment was that it would Reboot the hard drive completely clean and back to Factory Settings which was what I was spending hours on trying to accomplish because I have been stuck with the "Grey Loading Screen of ****" after trying to download something... Now My Hard Drive to my Macbook is basically empty, there's pretty much zero commands I can type, Doesn't have the Recovery HD Drive to Re-Boot itself, and I'm still stuck at loading screen. Anyways, My question is.. Is there Anyway Possible to make a "OS X Recovery Drive" that's valid to transfer the File(s) accurately to either a DVD or Flash Player from a Different Macbook (Same Model , Everything). So when I hook up the DVD / Flash Player to My "Broken Mac-Crap", it will connect Properly and Correctly. Therefore, after Holding "Control + C" during Start-Up, I am able to See the Device (Located Next To The "Recovery HD" Drive). Once I click on it, it will then begin Rebooting and Installing Everything Back To Normal??!?!?! Note: I am unable to get passed the Grey Loading Screen as I said at the top, which includes the "Time Machine App.) Please Someone Help!! I'm not a Computer Wiz and just wants someone to guide me through this Bull-Crap....

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 9:29 PM

3 replies

Mar 26, 2014 6:45 AM in response to Jo3ybb18

Well ... there's nothing like a combination of hubris and lack of knowledge to get you into trouble ...

Snow Leopard does not, and never had, a Recovery Partition. Lion was the first version of OS X that ever had a recovery partition.

You also seem to know just enough about UNIX to get yourself into trouble. "rm -rf /" completely erases your hard drive, it does not "Reboot the hard drive completely clean and back to Factory Settings" as you seem to think it would.

At this point you have to re-install OS X from scratch. If you have the grey recovery disk(s) that came with your MacBook, use them. If you don't have them then you need to purchase Snow Leopard. You may or may not then be able to migrate your apps from your other MacBook "(Same Model, Everything)".

There is another option that may or may not work. If you really do have an identical MacBook, you may be able to start up the dead MacBook in Target Disk Mode, connect it to your running MacBook and clone the running MacBook's hard drive to your dead MacBook. Repeat ... this may or may not work! You will have to try it to see, and I suspect you will need to repartition and reformat the dead MacBook's hard drive first since you destroyed it from the Terminal.

Anyway To Make A Bootable DVD/Thumb Drive for Mac OS X 10.6.8?!?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.