Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No application memory left. Getting worse and worse. My Mac Pro is basically unusable. I am about to go back to a PC.

I am ready to go back to a PC. I cannot use my computer. I have lost photos. Can't even download from carbonite to replace lost itemsk because of lack of application memory. It is driving me crazy. This computer cost too much for this kind of thing to be happening. Mine has been happening for over a year. I can't get answers.

Iphoto ios-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), OS X version 10.9.1

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 10:37 PM

185 replies

Mar 25, 2014 10:54 PM in response to readingsully

if your Mac is running that bad, there is something on your system causing this.

It would help us to help you if we could have some more technical info about your iMac. If you wish, Please download, install and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck was developed as a simple Mac diagnostic reporting tool by a regular Apple Support forum user and technical support contributor named Etresoft.

Etrecheck is a small, unobstrusive app that compiles a static snapshot of your entire Mac hardware system and installed software.

This is a free app that has been honestly created to provided help in diagnosing issues with Macs running the new OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

It is not malware and can be safely downloaded and installed onto your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Copy/paste and post its report here in another reply thread so that we have a complete profile of your Mac's hardware and installed software so we can all help with your Mac performance issues.

Thank You.

Mar 29, 2014 8:19 PM in response to MichelPM

Let me think about that. I am a little nervous.

I am running a mid 2009 MacBook Pro which has been updated to OSX 10.8.1 (12b19). Or (12819). Can't make it out.

Maybe you could answer another question. I have over 40,000 photos that I have lost from iPhoto and I can't get them loaded back into I photo. It always says the application memory is full. I have them on an external hard drive.

If all else fails, I am trying to save my photos. Can the apple photos on this disk drive be changed so they will open in a PC?

The main problem is no application memory left. If that could be solved everything else might work.

Mar 29, 2014 10:43 PM in response to readingsully

Just to quell your fears, your Photos are still there on your Mac.

The bad part, is I have never ran into this is issue and have looked into it and I find the the Application memory full issues can be caused by many things.

The reason I need you to install and run Etrecheck, is because I need to see if your system is running ANY incompatible software or malware that is bad for your Mac, in general.

I will ask you some questions , instead.

Do you run any antivirus software on your Mac? Antivirus software can slow down the normal operation of OS X and can have negative effects on OS X system performance and general operations.

Do you have "garbageware" apps like MacKeeper or any other "junkware" maintenance apps like CleanMyMac 1 or 2, TuneUpMyMac or anything like these apps, installed on your Mac? These types of apps, while they appear to be helpful, can do too good a job of data "cleanup" causing the potential to do serious data corruption or data deletion and render a perfectly running OS completely dead and useless leaving you with a frozen, non-functional Mac.

Mar 29, 2014 10:51 PM in response to readingsully

readingsully wrote

I am sick at heart, truly. My photos are my life.

Then you should have a much, MUCH better backup plan and solution than using remote "cloud" servers for your backup plan.

You SHOULD have a proper, local backup and a High Speed connected external hard drive that uses data cloning from apps like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make an exact working and bootable duplicate of your Mac's internal hard drive so, you would've had a way to operate your Mac from an external drive in the event of something going wrong with the system upgrade and a way to copy/clone your old working system back to from the external drive to your internal drive.

Never, EVER rely on one form of backup, especially data backups to a remote, offsite data server farm.

Mar 29, 2014 11:14 PM in response to readingsully

I think this is going to be a problem solver for our best, experienced users here to help you on your way.

Hopefully, I hope we hear from Kappy or Linc Davis as if you don't have any antivirus or malware installed on your system, I will not be able to help you any further.

The suggestions I made may work to get you out of the woods or may not depending on what has already been installed on your system.

Hopefully, more experienced help wiil be forthcoming.

I have given all I can suggest to you.

Sorry, I can't offer any further assistance on your issues.

Mar 30, 2014 10:42 AM in response to readingsully

To King of Typos:

I have one Macbook Pro. One I pad air. One I phone 5.

Osx 10.8.1 on laptop.

I have I photo as part of the computer. But the only photos I have left are on my Flash Drive which had I photo on it with a huge amount of photos. I have tried and tried to download them back to computer as well as using the iphoto on the flash drive but my computer always stalls and says the application memory is out. Then I am forced to force quit. and I lose it all again.

on Activity Monitor:

Memory: 954 MB safari dav clien

378 MB kernel task

Cpu: Safari 88% of cpu

Carbonite 19% of cpu

Hope this helps.

Mar 30, 2014 1:05 PM in response to readingsully

Not running anti virus.

I just ordered memory which will double my memory. Hope this will help me. I have 4GB and thius will make it 8GB. It is an upgrade using two cards that I can install myself.

It was also suggested to upgrade to hard drive to 1 TB.

Also, a 1TB internal hard drive.

I have not purchased the other two yet. Can you explain the difference between the two and will I lose something important if I do upgrade?

No application memory left. Getting worse and worse. My Mac Pro is basically unusable. I am about to go back to a PC.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.