Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant question

Currently have an early 2013 iMac with a 3 TB Fusion drive. I’m going to be donating this iMac to a family member (who’s going to college) and I’m going to be acquiring a new 2014 iMac — but this time I’m getting the 1 TB Flash drive instead of the 3 TB Fusion drive, along with an external 3 TB drives via Thunderbolt.

Here’s my question:

If I’m using Migration Assistant (which I’ve used in the past and which I like), how do I tell Migration Assistant where to put what’s presently on the 3 TB Fusion drive with respect to the 1 TB Flash drive and the external 3 TB drive?

More specifically, I currently have about 1.5 TB of data on the current 3 TB Fusion drive. I now need to split up that data between the 1 TB Flash drive and the external 3 TB drive.

Is there something associated with the Migration Assistant which will allow me to pick and choose exactly what files go where?

Thanks in advance!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 3.4GH Quad-core i7

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 12:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 12:30 AM

Migration Assistant does not let you restore files onto an external drive. You can only restore files to the drive where OS X was installed, in this case, the flash drive, so make sure you do not restore a lot of files to the flash drive so OS X has got enough free space to work correctly.

I recommend you to transfer the files you want to put into an external drive directly from the old iMac. Connect the external drive to the old Mac and copy the files you want to the external drive.

Also, follow these steps if you are going to give the computer to a different person > http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5189

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2014 12:30 AM in response to highland99

Migration Assistant does not let you restore files onto an external drive. You can only restore files to the drive where OS X was installed, in this case, the flash drive, so make sure you do not restore a lot of files to the flash drive so OS X has got enough free space to work correctly.

I recommend you to transfer the files you want to put into an external drive directly from the old iMac. Connect the external drive to the old Mac and copy the files you want to the external drive.

Also, follow these steps if you are going to give the computer to a different person > http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5189

Migration Assistant question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.