Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match crashes when loading playlists on Apple TV

After the update to OS 6.1.0 on my 2nd gen Apple TV, iTunes Match won't load any playlists. When attempting to load, the device crashes and drops me back to the home screen. This ONLY happens with playlists. All other attempts to play back music works fine.

I have reset the device and installed the latest update. All other devices can play playlists from iTunes Match.

Apple TV (2nd generation), Other OS

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 6:36 AM

14 replies

Apr 29, 2014 4:43 PM in response to Tiffy966

Thanks to both of you for sharing these findings. I have also tested this on several AppleTVs.

This is really bizarre. And definitely a bug. The fact that it works on my iPad with iOS 5, and not on my iOS 7 iPhone is so strange that it should be pretty easy to fix. It's almost as if something was commented out of the code. We'll let's hope someone from Apple actually reads this! :)

Apr 29, 2014 9:54 PM in response to Thorstein

Had some lengthy discussions with the Apple TV service. The guy was really helpful and tried his best. At the end we restored the Apple TV with no success. He then forwarded me to the iTunes Service (where it belongs). They weren't helpful at all, denying any issue with iTunes Match.

The Apple TV Service took over again, was embarrassed and started an RMA process to see my device or swap it. For free. A more than three year old one.

Apr 30, 2014 3:15 PM in response to Thorstein

UPDATE

Interestingly my ATV had an update tonight ( looks like a roll back to me) as the crashing problem has cleared but the previous issue I was having ( and had not reported yet) has reoccurred. The problem is that I have many playlists in ITunes and subsequently in Match however my ATV only shows the first 24 - again frustrating and similarly you can access all the playlists if you connect with iPad remote App but not with the iPhone remote app??

Apr 30, 2014 3:39 PM in response to Tiffy966

Mine also works now. Remote on iPad, iPhone, everything works. Must be a rollback or similar.

I've never actually discovered this, but yes, it does also cut of the number of playlists.

It only shows 17 of them, and only Smart playlists. Out of 40 some total playlists. This is not my biggest problem though, but it seems like they got some issues with playlists and how they are loaded. Playlists can always be started from the Music app on iPhone and AirPlayed. Not smooth, but usable. I never discovered those missing playlists because for some reason the 5 or so I use most are available.

Really, one should expect more from Apple. Especially iTunes Match, which we're paying for. But it always seems to be these weird issues when something does goes wrong (which in my case with Apple products, is very rare).

May 3, 2014 11:30 PM in response to HUWU

Update

I tried the Apple TV in my second house. Same problem.

Apple: wake up!

We should perhaps gather some facts.

I have 31 playlists; two of them are doubled by sync issues.

I also have 43 intelligent playlist whereof 5 of them are doubled ones with the number "1" added to the name.

User uploaded file

iTunes Match crashes when loading playlists on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.