Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a Airport Express extender with Xfinity Box?

I have been having issues with my Apple TV buffering playback of video content and stopping music in the middle of the song. These issues are very new. I never had any problems streaming videos or audio in my house until recently.

Originally I had an Airport Express at the computer and another one on the lower level of my house to extend the WiFi signal to the basement. I have since move on to a Xfinitiy Gateway box with built in WiFi. So could I somehow use the AE extender to extend the signal from the Xfinity box or does it have to come from the Airport Express to the extender onto my devices?

If I can use it, how would I go about setting it up? I asked a rep with Comcast on the phone and she seemed to think I would be able to extend the signal with the Airport Express but she didn't know how I would set it up. She just said to add it to my network.

Thanks

iMac, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 6:59 AM

3 replies

Mar 29, 2014 10:28 AM in response to DVX100Shooter

The basic setup, as turbostar has suggested, would be the following:

• You will need a minimum of two AirPort Express base stations. Ideally they should be the same model or at least both be the 802.11n versions.
  • Connect one Express to the Comcast-provided gateway device, using an Ethernet cable, between one of the gateway's LAN ports and the Express' WAN (circle of dots) port.
  • Reconfigure this Express as a bridge.
  • Configure the second Express to extend the wireless range of the first Express. Note: Unless you want to have two separate Wi-Fi networks, you will want to disable the wireless network provided by the Comcast device.

Using a Airport Express extender with Xfinity Box?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.