Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have found my screen blank at random. Mouse pointer appears upon wake, but is frozen. I have to do a hard restart to fix. 2011 27" iMac 3.4Ghz core i7 24GB RAM. Any fix to this?

I have randomly found my screen blank upon waking the display several times over the past few weeks. Occasionally, the mouse pointer appears, but is frozen in place. The only way around it is to do a hard restart (pushing and holding the button on back of the computer and shutting it off, then restarting). When I say blank I mean this: I walk up to computer, which has display off...I move mouse to activate the display. The display "lights up" but is blank/dark. A few times I've had the mouse pointer appear, but it is frozen in place.

2011 27 inch iMac

3.4Ghz core i7

2GB Video Ram

24GB system RAM

250GB SSD main drive

1TB HHD secondary drive

Running Parallels with Windows Vista occasionally.

Peripherals:

HP w2007 monitor (secondary display)

Belkin USB Hub

HP Deskjet F4140 Printer/Scanner

Davis Vantage Pro2 weather station console

2GB Apple Time Machine back up drive

USB Keyboard

Bluetooth apple mouse

Bluetooth apple trackpad

Verizon FIOS Actiontec Router

Apple TV (Wireless)

CyberPower UPS

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 3.4Ghz corei7, 24GB RAM, 2GB VRAM.

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 7:43 AM

7 replies

Mar 31, 2014 7:28 AM in response to MICP3003

I've heard that resetting the PRAM may solve issues like mine.

It does not hurt to reset the PRAM, so give that a try.

Is the 24GB RAM all Apple RAM, or did you add 3rd Party RAM? If 3rd Party RAM, this could be the cause.

Do you have 3rd kernel extensions? 3rd Party software can cause problems, especially those that add kernel extensions. Posting the EtreCheck output would show all such extensions

<https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6174>

Did Apple have SSD/HDD combos in 2011? I really do not know, so I'm asking. If this SSD/HDD combo is a 3rd Party addition, then disk issues might be an issue. Then again, a failing disk (Apple's or 3rd Party) can ALWAYS be an issue.

Is your SSD/HDD configured in a Fusion Drive setup? Again, if this is not original Apple SSD/HDD Fusion Drive setup, is it possible your manual configuration is having issues?

I have found my screen blank at random. Mouse pointer appears upon wake, but is frozen. I have to do a hard restart to fix. 2011 27" iMac 3.4Ghz core i7 24GB RAM. Any fix to this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.