Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will free space help speed up my iPod?

Hi,

I have an iPod Touch 4th generation with 32 GB RAM iOS 6.

Recently, it has been slow at times (not always) and sometimes apps crash and I was wondering whether freeing up spade would help.

It currently has about 3.2 GB free space.

Is this enough free space?

Would deleting some apps to give me more space help speed it up at all?

Thanks.

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 8:18 AM

6 replies

Mar 26, 2014 8:27 AM in response to timbad2

No, not with 3.2 GB available.

Try

Periodically double click the home button and close all the apps in the recently used dock. Then power off and then back on the iPod. This frees up memory. The 4G only has 256 MB of memory.

Next, as necessary

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

Mar 26, 2014 8:28 AM in response to timbad2

3.2 GB free should be enough.

Have you tried restarting or resetting your iPod Touch?

Restart: Press On/Off button until the Slide to Power Off slider appears, select Slide to Power Off and, after It shuts down, press the On/Off button until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Press the Home and On/Off buttons at the same time and hold them until the Apple logo appears (about 10 seconds).

No data will be lost.

Mar 26, 2014 8:46 AM in response to JimHdk

I've tried restarting at various times.

It usually helps some, but then it doesn't take that long until the next time I feel I need to do it again.

TBH, it tends to be slowest when the iPod or an app is accessing the internet, so maybe I'm just dealing with other issues here.

I just wondered if giving it more free memory to "splash around in" might help the overall responsiveness?

Will free space help speed up my iPod?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.