Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to go from 256 SSD to the Full Monty - can I get this done by Apple?

I know that there are no third-party solutions currently available, but if I want to go to the 1TB drive as soon as I can.

I understand that Thunderbolt 2 external SSDs aren't as fast as the internal PCIe type so I'd rather go the internal route but I don't know whether Apple or their dealer and service network can offer the internal ugrade.

Anyone know? Thanks in advance!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 12:25 PM

11 replies

Mar 26, 2014 2:55 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I'm no expert (understatement!) but I googled around and found some math somewhere that showed that PCIe was a lot faster. However, it may be that both PCEi and Thnderbolt two are baove the ceiling of the fastest data read/write speeds of the fastest SSDs?

If there's no speed advantage to replacing the internal SSD then adding an external one vie TB2 would certainly be a lot easier...

Mar 27, 2014 11:41 AM in response to The hatter

A full wadrobe is currentlybeing assembled ;-)

I got two external 8TB G-Raid thunderbolts, one running as a RAID 0 master volume and one as an hourly Carbon Copy Clone backup. I had a Pegasus2 R6 12TB but it went back (failed after 24 hours and was generally a PITA) even though it was extremely fast. I'll probably add the Lacie 1TB Little Big SSD Thunderbolt 2 soon but I might just wait until prices drop and add a 6TB external SSD array also in RAID 0. That would be FUN!

I want to go from 256 SSD to the Full Monty - can I get this done by Apple?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.