Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air using cellular when sleeping but connected to wifi

Since upgrading to iOS 7.1 on my iPad Air my cellular usage seems to have increased significantly. In only 10 days of billing, I've already used 900MB of cellular data on my iPad. In contrast, last month on iOS7.0 I used 300MB for the whole month. My usage patterns have not changed.

I've noticed that when my iPad wakes from sleep it always shows connected to LTE but not WiFi. So I did an experiement last night. I reset my cellular usage stats, checked that I was connected to wifi, and put the iPad to sleep. No one used the iPad during the night. After 9 hours, the iPad showed that it had used 38MB of cellular data.

Is anyone else seeing their iPad Air, running iOS 7.1 seemingly use cellular when asleep rather than wifi?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 2:13 PM

Please see this post from last year, especially the HT4146 article at the top and wjosten's response:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4703527?tstart=0

5 replies

Mar 26, 2014 4:01 PM in response to sberman

Humm, this is interesting and might be the answer, but it doesn't explain why this changed with the update to 7.1.

I've had an multiple iOS devices for years including iphone4, iphone5, ipad2 and iPad Air and haven't seen data usage like this on ny previous OS or hardware. I'm suspicious of a hardware/OS specific issue.

Thanks for the pointers, though, I will disable some likely culprits.

iPad Air using cellular when sleeping but connected to wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.