Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro keeps on freezing! What do I do? Details below...

Hello world, I am hoping one of you could help me!

As mentioned above I have a MacBook Pro. It had been very slow prior to it crashing and when it finally did crash I had no other choice but to switch it off via the power button. After this occurred several times my computer now won't pass beyond the loading page where I have a white screen and the spinning circley lines thing. The furthest I have got so far is my desktop, which then froze and I had to repeat the process! What do I do? Thank you in advance :)

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 1:27 PM

8 replies

Mar 27, 2014 9:49 AM in response to isabella246

If you want to preserve the data on the startup drive, and it's not already backed up, you must try to back up now, before you do anything else. It may or may not be possible. If you don't care about the data, you can skip this step.

There are several ways to back up a Mac that is not fully functional. You need an external hard drive to hold the backup data.

1. Start up from the Recovery partition, from Internet Recovery, or from a local Time Machine backup volume (option key at startup.) Launch Disk Utility and follow the instructions in this support article, under “Instructions for backing up to an external hard disk via Disk Utility.”

2. If Method 1 fails because of disk errors, and no other Mac is available, then you may be able to salvage some of your files by copying them in the Finder. If you already have an external drive with OS X installed, boot from it. Otherwise, if you have Internet access, follow the instructions on this page to prepare the external drive and install OS X on it. You'll use the Recovery installer, rather than downloading it from the App Store.

3. If you have access to a working Mac, and both it and the non-working Mac have FireWire or Thunderbolt ports, start the non-working Mac in target disk mode. Use the working Mac to copy the data to another drive. This technique won't work with USB, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth.

4. If the internal drive of the non-working Mac is user-replaceable, remove it and mount it in an external enclosure or drive dock. Use another Mac to copy the data.

My MacBook Pro keeps on freezing! What do I do? Details below...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.