Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add cells using a LEN, Indirect formula?

On a table called "Checkpoint" I have inserted the formula shown below in cell C3. It's purpose is to copy a value from a set of other tables (Day 1 - Day 31). On one of the "Day" tables is a cell e3 that contains the number 3. Using the formula shown below C3 shows the value 3. I now want the sum of 2 cells inserted into the formula, where e3(3)+g3(4) will equal 7 in C3.

C3=IF(LEN(INDIRECT("Day "&COLUMN()−3&"::e3"))<1,"",INDIRECT("Day "&COLUMN()−3&"::e3"))

I need to add g3 this formula so that the output will give the sum of ::e3+::g3. Both Cells are located on the same table.

When I tried the formula shown below I got error "The operator "+" expects a number, date or duration but found"."

C3=IF(LEN(INDIRECT("Day "&COLUMN()−3&"::e3")+("Day "&COLUMN()−3&"::g3"))<1,"",INDIRECT("Day "&COLUMN()−3&"::e3")+("Day "&COLUMN()−3&"::g3"))

What am I doing wrong?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 4:52 PM

2 replies

Mar 26, 2014 10:38 PM in response to Wayne Contello

Hello Wayne,

The cell I want to show the sum of e3 and g3 is in Checkpoint::E6 not C3 like stated erlier. E6 has a formula

=IF(LEN(INDIRECT("Day "&COLUMN()−3&"::e3"))<1,"",INDIRECT("Day "&COLUMN()−3&"::e3"))

that looks at data from several tables (Day 1 - Day 31(Days of the month)) and matches that data to a date and places the data in the appropriate cell in Checkpoint.

I want to combine the sum of 2 cells (Day 2::E3 and Day 2::G3) and place that data using a variation of the formula mentioned above.

The current formula will only retrieve the value from Day 2::E3.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

How do I add cells using a LEN, Indirect formula?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.