Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a droid phone and an iPad..what will happen if I turn iMessage on, on the iPad?

Can I use iMessage then shut it off if I need to use my phone?

I used to have an iPhone but just unregistered it with my Apple ID. Now I have a samsung and I am going abroad and don't have an international plan. If I have wifi, can I turn on iMessage without a hassle? I need to talk to family etc.

Then when I get back, will it be easy to just shut off iMessage and have all my texts go back to my phone?

Thanks.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 5:25 PM

5 replies

Mar 26, 2014 5:55 PM in response to kristin617

Since you have an iPad you can continue using iMessage, but only with other iOS devices as pointed out above. Your iPad can use iMessage independently of your phone number, which sounds like you're in the process of removing from association with your Apple ID. Removing your phone number can take awhile, so while that may play into your favor for continuing to use iMessage for your iPad, the number could get disassociated while you're overseas and iMessage (from your friends' perspective) may fail.

So to plan ahead, since your iPad can send and receive iMessages from an e-mail address, what I'd recommend is, on your iPad go into Settings/Messages/Send & Receive, then choose your email address in both the "You can be reached at .." and "Start new conversations from .." sections.

Then, for the people you want to communicate with while overseas, start a new message thread from your iPad (don't reply to an existing thread) with each person, instructing them to reply to this new message thread while you're away, not older messages which may be associated with your phone number. While you're overseas you'll get your iMessages just fine as long as you have Wi-Fi access.

Also, do NOT turn iMessage to OFF on your iPad since messages that come in while iMessage is off will fail and not be re-sent. But if you're out of Wi-Fi range, you'll get the iMessage when you get back in range as long as you leave iMessage ON.

Mar 26, 2014 5:51 PM in response to HelloAppleHelp

HelloAppleHelp wrote:

Nothing will happen, you just can't iMessage your droid phone unless you have cellular on both because as far as I'm concerned you can't do iMessage on a droid so you might want to switch to full apple to message yourself without buying cellular

It wouldn't matter whether he had cellular on both or not. iPad does not send text messages to non-iOS devices, with OR without cellular.

I have a droid phone and an iPad..what will happen if I turn iMessage on, on the iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.