Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i decide to upgrade to the OS X Mavericks not realizing I don't have enough hard disk space and now I cant do anything. How do I revert to the previous version to make more space on the HD?

I decided to upgrade to OS X Mavericks not realizing I don't have enough HD space. Now I cannot do anything with the upgrade. How can I revert to the previous OS X to free up more space on the HD?

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iTunes 11

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 6:47 PM

1 reply

Mar 26, 2014 9:30 PM in response to todomar

You can't. It's already downloaded and filled the drive. The only option is to erase and reinstall.

You may be able to Target Disk Mode if you can connect the Mac to another with FireWire or Thunderbolt Cables (USB will not work and it cannot be connected to a windows PC)

Do you have a Time Machine Backup?

If not best option is getting it in somewhere where they can transfer the data you need off before Erase and Reinstalling OS.

Unless there is nothing on the Machine you need anymore that is, in which case you may be able to Erase in Recovery. It May not work though, if the Disk is too full.

i decide to upgrade to the OS X Mavericks not realizing I don't have enough hard disk space and now I cant do anything. How do I revert to the previous version to make more space on the HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.