Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air and 4th gen charging question

Does the ipad 4th gen and iPad Air use the same charger. And can I use an iPhone 4s charger with a 30pin to lightning adapter to charge them?

iPad

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 8:58 PM

6 replies

Mar 26, 2014 10:57 PM in response to Diavonex

I thought I read somewhere that it was ok to use the lower watt chargers on newer tech, it'll just charge slower....but using the 15w for the older stuff that normally takes 5w or 10w could damage those devices. Why would Apple make 30pin to lightning chargers if they won't work?

And just so I'm totally clear.....both the ipad4 and iPad Air use the lightning connection right???

Mar 27, 2014 12:42 AM in response to a.conway

The iPad chargers fudge the USB standard a tad by pumping 1 Amp of current across the cable to ensure a faster charging time. Nornally USB should only carry 0.5 Amp, which is what the iPhone charger pumps out and is why it shouldn't be used with the iPads.

Using the bigger iPad charger for all is fine: the iPad will charge as it should, the iPhone will sip less current and charge as usual. I don't even remember where I put the phone's brick; have two iPad bricks I use for everything.

iPad Air and 4th gen charging question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.