Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Profile Manager broken in 3.1.1

Installed 3.1.1 a few days ago. Didn't do 3.1 though as I was on vacation. Today I tried to access PM from my browser but got only error messages.

Ok, fired up server.app and checked the settings. App couldn't read them. Tried to stop and restart the service and now it won't start anymore.

These are the log entries I get:

[3002] [2014/03/27 09:13:54.463] -[SULogFileCollection setGlobalLogLevelPrefix:]: YES

0:: [3002] [2014/03/27 09:13:54.465]

###########################################################################

devicemgrd-865.1 (PID:3002, OS:13C64, SERVER:13S4140, ARCH:x86_64) starting

LA: devicemgrd

Log verbosity level = 1

UID = 220, EUID = 220

###########################################################################

0:: [3002] [2014/03/27 09:13:54.591] +[PGConnection reloadPreferences]: DBDebug = NO, DBLogNotices = NO, DBLogSQL = NO, DBMonitor = NO

0:: [3002] [2014/03/27 09:13:55.157] EXCEPTION: Postgres <-[PGConnection executeCSQL:] (/SourceCache/RemoteDeviceManagement/RemoteDeviceManagement-865.1/Compiled/Fram ework-Models/Postgres/PGConnection.m:322): "Postgres error 42P01 (ERROR: relation "device_enrollment_settings" does not exist

)">

0:: [3002] [2014/03/27 09:13:55.157] Terminating on unhandled exception -[PGConnection executeCSQL:] (/SourceCache/RemoteDeviceManagement/RemoteDeviceManagement-865.1/Compiled/Fram ework-Models/Postgres/PGConnection.m:322): "Postgres error 42P01 (ERROR: relation "device_enrollment_settings" does not exist

)"

0:: [3002] [2014/03/27 09:13:55.163] EXCEPTION: Postgres <-[PGConnection executeCSQL:] (/SourceCache/RemoteDeviceManagement/RemoteDeviceManagement-865.1/Compiled/Fram ework-Models/Postgres/PGConnection.m:322): "Postgres error 42P01 (ERROR: relation "device_enrollment_settings" does not exist

Any ideas?

Mac mini, OS X Server, Server

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 1:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 12:45 PM

Hey mightymartin,

have your tried to delete your Server.app and download it again from the AppStore?

Could fix the issue.

16 replies

Mar 28, 2014 12:58 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

OS X Server: How to reset Profile Manager to its original state

Hi Linc Davic,

is there a chance to reset a Server with preserving profiles, devices, and device groups.?

For example if I have a issue with the OpenDirectory can I reset the OD? I'm scarred of it because of the included Certificate Infrastructure which Profile Service is using.

Apr 16, 2014 3:44 AM in response to mightymartin

Thanks, Patrick, that worked for me too. Same issue, Profile Manager kaput, and same fix, delete Server.app, you get a message telling you the deletion has been detected, and server services have been stopped, and you just download and reinstall the app.

I think I know what went wrong here - previously, when Server.app was updated, once you launched it post-update, it went through a setup process, and you got asked to provide admin credentials to perform the setup, followed by a progress bar. That didn't happen when I did the app store update this time, it just reconnected to server, so it seems there is a bug with the server upgrade process on this version.

Deleting the old Server.app and reinstalling it does kick off this setup process again, which was obviously necessary in order to run certain scripts to ensure the server backend stuff matched the Server.app version.

At least I'll know for next time...

Jun 1, 2014 12:22 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

OS X Server: How to reset Profile Manager to its original state

• Resetting Profile Manager to its original state removes all profiles, devices, and device groups. Only do this if you want to start over with Profile Manager without reinstalling OS X Server.
  • Any devices that have profiles installed from this server will no long receive updates, and you won't be able to manage them unless they re-enroll. The profiles should be deleted from the devices.
  • The certificates will not be removed.

Hi Linc Davis,

thank you for your support.

But the customers here are looking for solutions which obtains already enrolled devices ...

My question is, is there a manual how to reinstall Profile Manager but retain the certificate infrastructure and the database of enrolled devices?

Jun 27, 2014 2:26 AM in response to FlorianLeo

I was looking for a method of resetting Profile Manager in Mavericks last night and discovered this from another discussion - you will obviously lose all of your device / device group data though but it saves having to reset the whole server data: Profile Manager Reset Method for Mavericks

1. Put Server.app in the trash (will prompt saying it has detected it being trashed and will stop all services), DO NOT EMPTY THE TRASH
  2. Once that happens, go to the Libary/Server/ folder and take the entire ProfileManager folder and put it into the trash
  3. Put the Server.app back into the applications folder. Start up, start all services and reconfigure profile manager.

My only problem now is trying to figure out why the home sync at logout deployment setting refuses to work, even though the settings have successfully taken on the client. I can clearly see the variable "syncBackgroundSetAtLogout" is set within com.apple.homeSync.plist but the client is just ignoring it 😟

Profile Manager broken in 3.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.