Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring music,pictures,data, apps

I am on imac 21 inch screen , 2GHz, intel core 2 duo,running snow leopard. I want to update to maverick on a larger imac with 27 inch screen-2.66 GHz. the larger system has leopard, but never been updated. I want to update both to imac to maverick.

question-do I need the other updates (lion, I think) before i can update to maverick?

Question: After updating the larger imac to maverick, I would like to transfer the data from the smaller imac. the larger imac is clean and only has leopard on it.

How would I go about properly transferring this data?

On the smaller imac , it has 3 account, but I only want to tranfer one account. Do I need to have the same name on the larger imac to transfer the info from that account on the smaller imac?

If so do it need to account name exactly the same way that I see on the log in page on the smaller imac?

I writing on the smaller imac

Thanks in advance for any help.

Austin

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Processor Speed:2.0 GHZ intel Core

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 6:14 AM

question-do I need the other updates (lion, I think) before i can update to maverick?

No. You can upgrade to Mavericks directly from Snow Leopard. Go to the App Store and download it.

After updating the larger imac to maverick, I would like to transfer the data from the smaller imac. the larger imac is clean and only has leopard on it. How would I go about properly transferring this data?

The safest way is to connect the two Macs, and use Setup Assistant. When you first start up the new mac you will be asked to enter info about yourself. At an early stage in the set up you will also be asked if you want to tranfer data. At this point, with the Macs connected, you simply designate the old Mac as the source of the data.

Do I need to have the same name on the larger imac to transfer the info from that account on the smaller imac?

It will make it easier to handle the transferred information.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2014 6:14 AM in response to has55

No. You can upgrade to Mavericks directly from Snow Leopard. Go to the App Store and download it.

After updating the larger imac to maverick, I would like to transfer the data from the smaller imac. the larger imac is clean and only has leopard on it. How would I go about properly transferring this data?

The safest way is to connect the two Macs, and use Setup Assistant. When you first start up the new mac you will be asked to enter info about yourself. At an early stage in the set up you will also be asked if you want to tranfer data. At this point, with the Macs connected, you simply designate the old Mac as the source of the data.

Do I need to have the same name on the larger imac to transfer the info from that account on the smaller imac?

It will make it easier to handle the transferred information.

Mar 28, 2014 6:19 AM in response to has55

In the archived knowledge base

Archived - Mac OS X v10.6: How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac

You can use Migration Assistant to transfer important information, such as user accounts, applications, network and computer settings, and files, from one Mac computer to another via a FireWire cable or over a wired or wireless network.

This article has been archived and is no longer updated by Apple.

they say I can transfer data by :

To use Migration Assistant you have four options for connecting the computers:

Which is faster, firewire or ethernet?

Transferring music,pictures,data, apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.