Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i use an inactive nano sim card with a sim-free iPhone 5s?

So im thinking about buying a new iPhone which will be the iPone 5s, but my contract for my cureent carrier does not end until june so im thinking about buying the iPhone today and then in 3-4 months switching to a gsm carrier which will be metro pcs but can i still use te iPhone right now just as like an iPod touch ? I also heard that the sim card does not need to be active so i went on amazon.com and bought an H2O sim for like $0.01 i do not have an account with H2O bur i waas wondering if i could activate the iphone with that sim? To my understanding there has to be a sim card but it does not need to be activated it is this true? anywaay thanks in advance.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 6:39 AM

9 replies

Apr 7, 2014 6:19 AM in response to varjak paw

I just bought the sim unlocked iPhone 5s and I activated it without an active sim so the answer to my own question is yes you can activate an iPhone for the first time without an active sim we'll anyways now I have another question under settings on this sim unlocked iPhone 5s under carrier it says AT&T does anybody know why it says that? Is it locked to that network I bought the iPhone full $649.99 retail price and I clearly told the employee that I wanted a sim unlocked iPhone.can anybody help me?

Mar 27, 2014 7:58 AM in response to Robert61311

No, that's not true. What you read only applies to iPhones that have been previously activated and now you want to use it without having cell service. You will need some sort of carrier account to do the initial activation of your iPhone. Just having a SIM will not be sufficient.

So no, you won't be able to use your iPhone in any capacity without having some sort of carrier account, even if just for a short time, to activate the phone. You could perhaps get an unlocked iPhone and use it with your current carrier and switch later, but you'll need to check with your carrier as to whether you can bring in a new iPhone without having to extend or otherwise modify your existing contract.

Regards.

Mar 27, 2014 10:47 AM in response to RajaRani

You're talking about a phone that's previously been activated. A new iPhone, which what Robert is asking about, can to my knowledge only be activated through a cell carrier and all carriers I know of require some sort of account to activate a phone.

Once an iPhone has been activated, then a valid SIM will allow activation again later to be used as an iPod, but not a new iPhone out of the box.

Regards.

Can i use an inactive nano sim card with a sim-free iPhone 5s?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.