Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble opening pages file

My son had a Pages document that he had been working on and needed to print it in a hurry.

I told him to email it to me and I would open it and print it on my iMac which also has Pages

I received the email, downloaded the document to my desktop, double clicked on it, and received an error indicating that pages couldn't open the file.

What should have been a task that took a couple of minutes turned into a real hassle for my son.

Any ideas where to look on this?

Jim P.

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 6:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 7:08 AM

He was probably using one of the new versions: pages 5.1 for Mac, 2.1 for ios, or Pages for icloud in his browser. In addition to being very buggy and crippled ( an " unmitigated disaster" said one reviewer), they cannot be opened with earlier versions of Pages. Get him to export to document toPages 09 format, then encourage him to trash the new version and use Pages 09 (or 1.7.2 for ios).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2014 7:08 AM in response to James Palmer2

He was probably using one of the new versions: pages 5.1 for Mac, 2.1 for ios, or Pages for icloud in his browser. In addition to being very buggy and crippled ( an " unmitigated disaster" said one reviewer), they cannot be opened with earlier versions of Pages. Get him to export to document toPages 09 format, then encourage him to trash the new version and use Pages 09 (or 1.7.2 for ios).

Trouble opening pages file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.