Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

back swipe freezes safari

Safari recently started this: Using a two finger back swipe to go to previous page, it will start to slide, then freeze. Cursor will move off-page, but swipe functions on track pad do not work in Safari. Have to exit Safari and start again. Using OSX Mavericks latest version (10.9.2)

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 9:42 AM

There are various reports that this problem can be solved by simply restarting, or by resetting the PRAM. I can't confirm.

18 replies

Apr 3, 2014 2:19 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

I tried doing a restart before I posted this problem. Didn't resolve it. After reading your response I decided to do a complete shut down, thinking the parameter RAM may not get a re-write using the restart option.

Later on, I restarted/fresh booted and the problem was fixed. Thank you for the assist!

For what it's worth: After I finally got fed up with Windows (malware, browser hijacks, etc.) and going back to Apple after many years in the DOS/Win/Novell worlds, I have been very happy with the virtually trouble-free operation of my iMac. I had to remind myself that Macs are still boxes full of chips and software that aren't perfect, but they sure are a lot closer to perfect than Microsoft ever was. Thanks again.

Sep 9, 2014 4:53 PM in response to MacPlusNavy

The PRAM reset worked for me... for a while, but it came back within a week. Switching off the trackpad didn't work for me.

What does work (and I have no idea why) is locking the screen. Ctrl + Shift + Eject key, then press a key to wake it back up, and the problem is gone. I'm waiting for it to happen again to see if it was a coincidence - but so far, so good.

Jan 13, 2015 5:28 PM in response to MacPlusNavy

MacPlusNavy wrote:

Safari recently started this: Using a two finger back swipe to go to previous page, it will start to slide, then freeze. Cursor will move off-page, but swipe functions on track pad do not work in Safari. Have to exit Safari and start again. Using OSX Mavericks latest version (10.9.2)

Turning my Trackpad On and Off fixed the problem for me.

May 11, 2015 11:47 AM in response to rennyz27

I found ou that it affects only the Tab you used the two finger back swipe and not Safari as a whole. It will freeze and not allow you to recharge the page or go to a different one. But it allows you to close that one tab and all others, including new ones, will work perfectly other than that the two finger back swipe will always cause the Tab to hang...

Also noticed it happens more often when I intensely use my Wacom tablet.

back swipe freezes safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.