Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to connect an old external drive to new iMac?

I just bought a new iMac, the basic one with the 21.5 inch monitor. I have a Lacie external drive. The back of the external drive looks like this:

User uploaded file

I don't need this to be connected to the iMac constantly, this is an archive drive, everything on this also exists on another, larger drive which is my main external backup drive. But I do still want to be able to access this drive, in case the main backup crashes or in case I decide to repurpose it. What is the easiest way to connect to this drive? I don't think it has a USB 2.0 port and I don't see any other ports except for a camera or ethernet on my new iMac.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 8GB RAM

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 9:46 AM

The two identical ports in your photograph are FireWire 800 (FW800) ports. You can buy a Thunderbolt-to-FW800 adapter in the Apple Store:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD464ZM/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapte r?fnode=51

The drive probably came with a FW800 cable (among others).

2 replies

how to connect an old external drive to new iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.