5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2014 10:02 AM by BDAqua
bob browne Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)

For reasons I'm not entire sure of, Mac OS 10.14.11 has started creating virtual drives. Using the Terminal, I found these virtual drives in /Volumes. All the virtual drives have names similar to my actual hard drives, which are then renamed. So, for example, I had a drive called Backup, which is now renamed Backup 1, and a virtual drive is called backup. Using the terminal, I deleted all files on the virtual drives and would like to now delete them. My Linux/Unix knowledge had never reached that point, so if someone could tell me the command, I'll carefully delete the virtual drives. Mac OS finder knows nothing about these virtual drives.

• Limnos Level 8 Level 8 (43,685 points)

In 8 years of using OSX I haven't seen such drives which suggests to me there's something on your computer creating these, probably for a reason.  It would be good to find out what is doing it and why first, especially if they are not visible in Finder (how did you find them in the first place?)

• bob browne Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)

I really have no idea why OSX does this, but it is not the first time. I found them because I had downloaded a file to a directory on a hard drive. The file was not there. I used the Terminal to see what might be going on and that's when I discovered the virtual drives. BTW, I have already bought a new Mac and plan to retire this one soon. However, I would like to use it in the meantime, and solving this problem would make that a lot easier to do.

• BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (120,715 points)

It happens when a drive get disconnected or goes offline during file transfer.

In Finder's Menu, select Go menu>Go to Folder, and go to "/volumes". (no quotes)

Volumes is where an alias to your hard drive ("/" at boot) is placed at startup, and where all the "mount points" for auxiliary drives are created for you to access them. This folder is normally hidden from view.

Drives with an extra 1 on the end have a side-effect of mounting a drive with the same name as the system already think exists. Try trashing the duplicates with a 1 or 2 if there are no real files in them, and reboot.

If it does contain data...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2474

• bob browne Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)

Thanks. That fixed it. Unfortunately one drive with a 1 is the original drive. I will try renaming it, rebooting and hoping that all the pieces are now where they belong.

• BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (120,715 points)

Great news.

If it happens again, look into if the drive is loosing power or going bad.