Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder not showing Desktop

Running Mavericks, checked Finder Preferences and 'Desktop' IS checked to show... but it doesn't show the desktop in the left column any longer. Finder _usually_ shows all my drives including internal, external USB, FW, and NAS. Prior to Mavericks I _never_ had the problems showing or accessing anything. Opening files stored on NAS from Apps like Photoshop CS4 sometimes works sometimes doesn't... storing an open file or even a new file on the NAS from PS CS4 almost never works now. Have to first store to a USB or internal drive, then copy to NAS, then delete file on USB or internal so as not to clog drive with hundreds of client graphics files that I use repeatedly.

Is Mavericks this buggy or am I doing something wrong? I'm trying to keep my root HDD at least 1/3rd empty for performance sake.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), iMac, MacBookPro, iPad, iPhones

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 8:20 AM

12 replies

May 1, 2016 12:04 PM in response to LightningMike

Thanks to this thread, I started thinking more creatively about how to solve the problem of nothing but my external drives ("Devices) showing up on any Finder window I opened. Finally I noticed that there was also a medium gray title, "Favorites" at the top. There is no visual information that this title is clickable (shame on you Apple! How about a twiddle, geez!). However, rolling the cursor over the title allowed me to select Show. Obviously, I had inadvertently turned on Hide at some point.

Finder not showing Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.