Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13 Haswell temperature issues

So I just ordered a MacBook Pro 13 Retina with the new Haswell processor last week and received it a few days back. I bought the 8GB RAM with 256GB SSD model. The computer has been performing well in terms of performance and the tasks that is asked of it. But I do have some genuine concern for the temperatures and the heat felt from the base of the laptop during usage of different scenarios.

If realised that if I put it on my lap and use it (well duh, it's called a LAPtop for a reason), the temperature starts to rise and hangs around 55-60 degree celsius. And the base because warm/hot during the use. From using Safari with the Flash plug-in installed (needed to watch YouTube videos), the temperature rises by 5-10 degree celsius from around 55-65 range. That's rather worrying for me as the computer gets uncomfortably hot. Then I tried this game on the web browser which requires the Unity Web Player plug-in. The game was Simulator Surgeon. Played for about 5 minutes and with the fan blasted up to 6500 RPM and it was at 90-95 degree celsius. That's boiling water point and the computer felt really hot. The computer's fan always sit at base RPM speed of 1250-1300 RPM and doesn't seem to rise at all until I manually change it via the SMC Fan Control application.

The problem here right now is that why does it heat up so much? The game I played on the web browser was a 3D game I admit but it's hardly First Person Shooter or some racing game like NFS. Why does it become that hot for such simple things?

I've gone through many different websites hoping for this problem isn't something unusual and happens with all other MacBook Pros. And although I have received some assurance from those websites, I can't help but feel it is rather disconcerting and uncomfortable for my laptop to feel so hot when it is being used. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 9:02 AM

1 reply

Aug 5, 2014 10:04 PM in response to Rvind

I have the same situation. I think Apple prioritise noise to keep user experience good. Fan pretty much sits at idle speed at 1300 RPM until the temperature reaches above 75-80 degrees and doesn't really spin until it surpasses 90C. CPU TJMax is 100C so anything over it will throttle down, otherwise just use SMC to keep it running cooler.

MacBook Pro 13 Haswell temperature issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.