Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11.1.5 (64-bit) tries to open, but freezes Windows 7 (64-bit)

Even when it does manage to open, it instantly becomes unresponsive. Browser and other computer tasks become unresponsive. The task manager takes longer that usual to open when it does open. Had to shut down processes in task manager to take control of the system back. Had to force shut off PC twice because at one point the pointer and touchpad functions became unresponsive. Uninstall and re-install results in the same. It started when I dragged 146 re-tagged songs to the "Automatically add to iTunes" folder. At the moment I have over 32,000 files in iTunes.

I used Mp3tag to re-tag the mp3 files I tried to drag in. Although these songs where in iTunes while they were being tagged, I only retagged titles and artists, I didn't even add images to the mp3 files so I don't see why it would be too much work for iTunes to classify the previous versions as missing (as it always does) and just add the new files as it always did.

Of course this retagging process could have nothing to do with what is happening. I went back and extracted the songs from the "Automatically add to iTunes" folder (yes they were still there, all of them) and set them aside in a different location to see if it relieved iTunes from the workload, but no change. I tried uninstalling and installing an older version (11.1.3) but it didn't work. I uninstalled and tried to re-install 11.1.5 but the same thing is happening.

I just tried to view a CD I put in my PC with the purpose to rip it, and iTunes did the same thing.

I run Windows 7 (64-bit), with 70GB of storage available (of 449), Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor, and 8GB of RAM to work with.

Thanks ahead of time.

Windows 7, 64-bit

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 9:48 AM

1 reply

Mar 29, 2014 6:24 AM in response to pippin73

Hey pippin73,

Thanks for the question. It sounds like the third-party plugin may be impacting the performance of iTunes:

iTunes: Troubleshooting issues with third-party iTunes plug-ins

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3430

There are several ways an add-on can cause iTunes to act erratically, such as those listed below:

- Loss of iTunes functionality, such as the Visualizer

- Distortion or irregularity in the iTunes interface

- Slow performance

- iTunes won't open or quits unexpectedly

- You see this alert while syncing: "... cannot be synced. A duplicate file name was specified."

If you see the above symptoms or other unusual behavior, you can disable any third-party plug-ins by opening iTunes in Safe Mode:

- OS X: Hold down Option-Command.

- Windows: Hold down Shift-Control while opening iTunes.

If opening iTunes in safe mode resolves your issue, see the above resource for steps you can take to minimize impact.

Thanks,

Matt M.

iTunes 11.1.5 (64-bit) tries to open, but freezes Windows 7 (64-bit)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.