Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messed up ip address?

So I tried to create a server for a game and i was following instructions on how to portforward and it said to go into network and change to manual and for the IPv4 make one similar to the routers address. I did this and I thought i had done it correctly when I couldnt connect to the internet, im guessing because my ip address changed. I tried to go back and reset to default and not bother with the server but now I do not know how to change the settings back. Once I try to remove the manual tab from "configure IPv4" it says that the ip address is in use and then from there I am stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to go back to how it was.

Thanks,

John

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 12:07 PM

7 replies

Mar 27, 2014 12:45 PM in response to BobRz

Ok so far (I'm not sure if I messed this up even more) my wifi says DHCP with manual address. My wifi is connected but it says that another device is using my ip address. It wouldn't let me switch directly from IPv4 to DHCP becuase it said my ip address wasnt valid. So I stand now with the DHCP with manual and another device on my address

Mar 27, 2014 1:02 PM in response to Eden Seeker

I think your problem was the "something similar". Each IP address needs to be unique but part of the same network. Let's use 192.168.0.1 as an example. Typically that's the router. Inside the router's firmware you can specify a DHCP range. Those are the addresses it will hand out. So let's say you leave 192.168.0.2 thru 192.168.0.100 as DHCP addresses. That means you'd have room for that many addresses to be handed out automatically. If you're going to try a static IP, it needs to be outside that range and can't be assigned twice. So for example, your MBP could be 192.168.0.101, but if you added another device you'd have to use 192.168.0.102 or something. And the subnet should always be the same in this case, 255.255.255.0

Messed up ip address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.