Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

11.1.5.5 Update.....yet again an itunes update trashes my library

Is there a way to backout 11.1.5.5?

Is all of the prior version metadata and database content still around after the update?

(So if I can back out will I be in the state I was in before this upgrade....with playlists etc. See below to understand.)

I started up iTunes to find it has automatically updated itself to this new version.

When it finsihed introducing itself with the tutorial videos saying how wonderful it was and how much easier it will be to use, I found it had trashed all of my playlists, all of my stats and ratings, and it had changed the properties of all of my compilation albums - so that they were no longer compilations. On closer inspection I found that not only had it decided that my compliations weren't compilations, but it had also decided to randomly move the artwork around.

I spent quite a lot of time organising my compilations into their correct format because when they were imported to itunes it didn't recognise them as compilations. I spent even more time sorting artwork for albums that iTunes failed to find artwork for, repeatedly!. I like playlists. I had quite a few. Easy gym workout, up to frantic gym workout. Running workout versus cycling or cross training. Driving, Travelling, Party mode, mellow mode, right down to drinking alone in a dark room mode. All gone.

It appears that 11.1.5.5, in a fit of 'Asimovian' pique, has undone every 'fix' I have ever made to my music library so that it works....since Apple cant be bothered to make their software work in a straightforward, reliable fashion.

If it wasn't for the cult status that apple enjoys, if they were measured like most other companies on their customer service, their corporate aethos - let's keep changing everything to mess with people that make stuff that's supposed to work with apple, and apple people who buy it.

Andrea Bocelli comes to mind.......Con Te Partiro....Time to say goodbye!!!

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 12:45 PM

10 replies

Mar 28, 2014 7:39 AM in response to chubbysky

So here's my own update to my own post. I trawled turingtest2 info since they seem pretty expert on this stuff.

Using the itunesinfo script I ascertained that iTunes was pointing in all sorts of places for iTunes related files and not all of them were iTunes locations. For my media file the software was looking I the folder I keep all my jokes and humour in......not funny huh.

I also noticed that although I had tried resetting the media folder location through the iTunes preferences route, nothing seemed to happen when you changed the destination folder. iTunesinfo still reported the same weird locations as before.

Then I spotted the open iTunes with shift held down and choose which library you want to load. Bingo. All of my stuff has come back as it is meant to be. Playlists there, artwork where it's meant to be, compilations all intact again. So that's a right result and something I should have remembered and tried sooner since I was aware of this capability to select library on startup already.

What puzzles me now is why iTunes decided to go and create new libraries on upgrade?

Mar 29, 2014 3:17 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for being around with all the knowledge and the willingness to share and support.

Further update, I went to resync my ipod with the 'real' library in place and was surprised when none of the playlists appeared on ipod after sync. On closer inspection, all of the original playlists are there in name, but they have no content.

I ran the itunesinfo again and the itl and xml locations are where I would expect them to be.

The media file location is not though. It's still pointing at the 'classic' location as apposed to at the media file location linked to the library in use....and the one specified in iTunes preferences.

I think I'm going to try copying the media folder I think it should be using, to the location iTunes says it's looking for a media folder to see if that has any effect.

Mar 29, 2014 3:33 AM in response to chubbysky

Do the tracks play in iTunes? iTunes cannot copy "missing" tracks to the device. Check the media folder as listed under Edit > Preferences > Advanced. Does this tally with where your media actually is? If not correct, ignore the offer to consolidate, close iTunes and reopen. Do things work now?

Alternatively find a broken track, press CTRL+I to Get Info, say No when asked to locate the track and look at the location on the summary tab that begins file://localhost/. Post back with this location where iTunes is looking and the true path to the same file. I should be able to suggest an efficient way to resolve things.

tt2

Mar 30, 2014 4:29 AM in response to turingtest2

I'm just about to start rooting around to see what I can find.

However, in response to your questions (and it's obvious I wasn't clear enough in my description of the problem - I don't think I have any broken tracks - I can normally fix these anyway - it's just the playlists).

The playlists exist in name but are empty in iTunes and do not appear at all on my iPod after syncing...presumably because they're empty.

In iTunes/Edit/Preferences the media location is saying what I would expect (ie It's pointing at the right media folder).

If I run iTunesinfo, the media folder location is NOT the same as specified in preferences. It stays this way even after re-specifying the media folder location in preferences and closing and reopening iTunes.

Mar 30, 2014 5:23 AM in response to chubbysky

Do you have older .itl files in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder? Sadly not every update creates them, my most recent one is from last September. If you have such, then you could restore it in the manner shown in the Empty/Corrupt tip. You can either bring that up to date with the contents of the media folder, or export the playlists, then restore the "current" library and import the playlists. It depends a bit on whether the current library holds the ratings & play counts (or if these were also lost along with the playlist contents), or whether that information matters to you.

tt2

Apr 29, 2014 7:10 AM in response to turingtest2

tt2. HUmble apologies for any apparent rudeness. I have been travelling for the last 4 weeks in a universe where the internet is dial up speed....hence the lack of any communication.

Trying to pick up where I left off was just too much brain power. So I'm just going to rip it out and restart. I'm going to get rid of anything that looks like itunes files or folders, with the exception of data such as artwork etc.

Rest assured i will shout if I need help. I just didn't want to leave you with the appearance of rudeness due to my radio silence.

Csky

Apr 29, 2014 7:56 AM in response to chubbysky

No worries... I have so many threads on the go in here I hadn't have noticed, and I certainly wouldn't take offense.

As long as you keep hold of a couple of the archived library files in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder there is a chance of recovering old playlists and ratings if you change your mind and decide you'd like to try after all.

tt2

Apr 30, 2014 12:00 PM in response to turingtest2

tt2, I cleared everything down I could find except the 'album artwork' folders. (I wasn't interested in trying to maintain stats and I'd give up on playlists - I'll rebuild them. I was bothered about was retaining the artwork I had gradually found and added since iTunes only managed about 60% of my library.)

During cleanup I had found two 'music' folders in different locations, although both under the 'My Music' branch: So I moved one of them far away from that piece of the directory, although still on the same drive.

After the cleanup and reimstall of itunes, I download all of my purchases from the store, then I add the music folder I want. I find I have LOTS of duplicates (sigh). So I do some digging. I find a new 'music' folder has been created in the tunes media folder. (I have it set to 'not organise my music'.) I also go digging in the original music folders and find that iTunes must have been physically changing my stored music before. Disassembed compliations that I had put back together in iTunes physically appear as individual folder for artist with song inside, as well as in various artists, with the full album. So okay, I can uninstall it again and go clean up the dupes in the music folder I want as my master, but can you tell me how to stop it creating and populating the new 'music' folder in 'itunes media'?

csky

11.1.5.5 Update.....yet again an itunes update trashes my library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.