Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import music from my iPhone to my iMac?

Recently my hard drive on my iMac crashed and I lost all my music that I had on iTunes. I have a new copy of iTunes on my iMac and still have all of my songs on my iPhone. I just need to know how to import the songs from my iPhone to my iMac using iTunes. The first time I hooked my iPhone to my iMac, iTunes came up and asked if I wanted to sync my iPhone to my iMac. When I did that, my iPhone imported all my songs from my iMac. I want to know how to do the reverse. I'm concerned that if I hook my iPhone to my iMac, it might end up erasing all of my songs on my iPhone. I just need to know how to avoid doing that, thank you.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Final Cut Pro, Avid Media Composer

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 1:20 PM

4 replies

Mar 27, 2014 1:26 PM in response to Orange County California

Because of ownership issues, songs are intended to go from the Mac to the iPhone, and not the other way. When your hard drive crashes, the expectation is you will restore from your backup, not your iPhone.

Having said that, the iPhone can send music you purchased from the iTunes Store back to the Mac. The way to do that is plug your iPhone into iTunes and choose File > Device > Transfer Purchases from iTunes' menu.

How do I import music from my iPhone to my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.