Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I install OS X Mavericks on a Macbook that wont even start up?

I got on it this morning, it booted up fine. Then stopped responding.
So I turned it off, and turned it back on.

It refused to open the operating system. Just kinda sat there with the Apple logo and the spinny 'loading' wheel.

I ended up in Online Internet Recovery, since my recovery system wouldn't work.
And I'm pretty sure I just deleted the operating system off of my mac.

Because I had no other option.

I don't have discs. I bought the darn thing a little over 2 weeks ago off ebay.

So I'm putting it back through the online recovery since when I retired restarting it, it told me it couldn't find the operating system.

(Folder with the question mark flashing)

If I open online recovery, can I possibly install OS X Mavericks onto my laptop and start all this over again?
I'm at the point where I don't care that I lost everything. I just want the darn thing to work, since I have limited options it seems.

If you have any idea on how to help, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!

~Krissy

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 1:58 PM

8 replies

Mar 27, 2014 4:01 PM in response to Krissy07

Macbook Pro 13" (Mid-2010) Though information says 2009 as well.
Was running OS X Mavericks 10.9 4

I do not have the original Apple store login information.

Since the item was bought via Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221380817944?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m149 7.l2649

That is the computer I bought. Information should be there if need be anything else.

~Krissy

Mar 27, 2014 4:05 PM in response to Krissy07

Krissy,

yes, you have a Mid 2010 model. You can purchase a replacement pair of grey installation DVDs for your MacBook Pro from either Apple or iFixit; having these DVDs is a good idea, because one of them has a bootable version of Mac OS X (Snow Leopard), and the other one has the iLife applications and the Apple Hardware Test for your model.

Mar 27, 2014 4:07 PM in response to Krissy07

The Mid 2010 Macbook Pro does not I understand have firmware internet recovery, when mavericks was installed it may have installed a recovery partition on your Hardrive. I cannot remember if this is automatic.

However if you restart your computer holding down the CMD and r keys it will boot into the recovery partition if it is there. If not you need to get a set of the original disks that came with the computer, these are available from Apple for a small handling fee. You can then rebuild your computer to Snow Leopard and then on to Mavericks.

One point that concerns me is that it was working fine and then failed, I just wonder if the hard drive as failed.

Mar 27, 2014 4:15 PM in response to Krissy07

The 2010 MBP originally came with Snow Leopard OSX. If you did not get the original installation disks, duplicates can be ordered from Apple Customer Service. You will have to provide them with the serial number of your MBP and there is a charge.

With the installation disk you should be able to access the internal HDD and repair it if possible or determine that it it no longer functional. If a repair succeeds, then you will be able to install Snow Leopard (10.6.3) and then update it to 10.6.8. That then will allow you to install Mavericks.

Ciao.

Mar 27, 2014 4:13 PM in response to Krissy07

Another point is that I don't think you should have been sold the computer with Mavericks installed, it should have have the original Snow Leopard OS installed before it was sold.

I understand that the licence for Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks is to the Apple ID unless the computer was suppiled with one of those OS's.

If I am wrong I have no doubt someone will post the correct information.

How do I install OS X Mavericks on a Macbook that wont even start up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.