Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using an iMac in tandem with MacBook Air

What is the best way to use an iMac and MacBook Air? Should I use a time machine backup from my iMac to essentially copy the iMac or should I setup two different computers? I originally wanted to have both of them mirror each other but there isn't a way to do so with out paying for it. I know you can use Drop Box but the one file that I want to transfer is too large without paying for extra file store options. What are your thoughts?

Also, up until just recently I had the Air setup from a time machine backup but I ran into issues with the Air having the same names as the iMac [i.e. the Air was labeled iMac (2)].

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 3:03 PM

3 replies

Mar 27, 2014 3:16 PM in response to HistoryTeacher88

I am having some difficulty understanding your question because you seem to be offering a method of solving a problem (e.g., using mirroring) instead of describing the problem you are trying to solve (e.g., having a redundant system, or keeping a current backup).

Anyway, an easy way to migrate from an iMac to a MacBook Air without having the computer name problem you mentioned would be to use Migration Assistant. This explains:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5872

Regarding Time Machine backup, your question implies that Time Machine storage is somehow equivalent to a computer. Instead, I suggest viewing Time Machine storage as equivalent to a storage device, such as an Apple Time Capsule.

Using an iMac in tandem with MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.