3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2014 3:30 PM by sberman
HistoryTeacher88 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

What is the best way to use an iMac and MacBook Air?  Should I use a time machine backup from my iMac to essentially copy the iMac or should I setup two different computers?  I originally wanted to have both of them mirror each other but there isn't a way to do so with out paying for it.  I know you can use Drop Box but the one file that I want to transfer is too large without paying for extra file store options.  What are your thoughts? 

Also, up until just recently I had the Air setup from a time machine backup but I ran into issues with the Air having the same names as the iMac [i.e. the Air was labeled iMac (2)].

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)
  • sberman Level 7 Level 7 (26,470 points)

I am having some difficulty understanding your question because you seem to be offering a method of solving a problem (e.g., using mirroring) instead of describing the problem you are trying to solve (e.g., having a redundant system, or keeping a current backup).

Anyway, an easy way to migrate from an iMac to a MacBook Air without having the computer name problem you mentioned would be to use Migration Assistant.  This explains:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5872

Regarding Time Machine backup, your question implies that Time Machine storage is somehow equivalent to a computer.  Instead, I suggest viewing Time Machine storage as equivalent to a storage device, such as an Apple Time Capsule.

• HistoryTeacher88 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you for your response.

I'm sorry for the confusion but purhaps I am confused and so I don't exactly what to ask.  I am going to attempt following the instructions found in the link you left and we'll se how it goes from there. 

I was not happy with the way I using the computers so I am going to try a new way.

• sberman Level 7 Level 7 (26,470 points)

Good luck!  I hope you find using the MacBook Air and Time Machine quite intuitive (as I do).