Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I setup Compressor 4.1.1 to use multiple cores?

I have a MacPro with 8 cores (16 virtual.) How do I set up Compressor 4.1.1 to use a specific number of cores? It was very easy under 3.5 but I am totally lost with 4.1.1. Thanks.

Mac Pro (Early 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 3:20 PM

Open Compressor's preference's, and go to Advanced. There is a checkbox to enable adiditional instances. In 4.1 and later, its limited to one additional instance for every 4 logical cpu cores. You should be able to select 3.

6 replies

Mar 27, 2014 6:16 PM in response to WilliamL

Well, I guess this time around its all about maximizing CPU usage. In previous versions I never did 1 service per core because having a video segmented into 32 pieces (16 instances x 2) just meant 16 processes running at 100% each, vs 6 pieces (3 at 533%) or 8 pieces (4 at 400%). All you can really do is maximize CPU. They maybe could have squeezed in one more instance, but with each instance enabled that is more RAM and another process requiring I/O. In the old version on a Mac Pro with 24 logical cores, I found 5 or 6 instances to be faster enabling 6+. A single instance by itself would use 400-600% CPU.

How do I setup Compressor 4.1.1 to use multiple cores?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.