Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off the preview pane in Mail

I am trying to turn off the preview pane in Mail - ultimate goal is to stop have mail mark a message as read just because I scrolled over it. I don't want a message marked as read unless I actually open the mail item.

fond this thread continually in earlier discussions from 2009-2011 - but othing more recent. Surely this has been fixed by now.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 4:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 4:44 PM

Drag the divider between the message list and the preview pane all the way to the right. It will pause about a 3/4 of the way, but keep dragging and it will go all the way over.

4 replies

Jun 20, 2017 6:28 AM in response to Barney-15E

As a lowly Level 1 community member I don't want to come across as questioning someone far more capable and educated on this stuff but I'm curious about your reply. All companies want information on us, data is king. My suspicion about Preview is that advertisers contacting me via email are counting me in their "click thru" numbers just by Preview opening the mail enough for me to read what is displayed. How can I be confident that simply sliding the pane so 100% of the view is message list versus say 99% is actually disabling Preview rather than hiding it?

While on the subject....Some may see being counted in click thru as innocent and for the most part it is but by being passive one falsifies the validity of the information advertisers and their agencies use to determine the cost effectiveness of the email campaign they run. We all get too much email and this is a way to reduce it. Relevance is important to advertisers and if we continue to let them believe we were interested in their email to open it they will continue to send it to us.

I really would love a feature in Mail that allowed opt in for Preview on a message to message basis. If I can select multiple messages for deletion why not give me the ability to default Preview Off and then select those messages I want to Preview?

Thanks.

Jun 20, 2017 3:18 PM in response to studog2

All companies want information on us, data is king. My suspicion about Preview is that advertisers contacting me via email are counting me in their "click thru" numbers just by Preview opening the mail enough for me to read what is displayed. How can I be confident that simply sliding the pane so 100% of the view is message list versus say 99% is actually disabling Preview rather than hiding it?

Turn off loading remote content in Mail's Preferences, Viewing tab. There is no way for them to track you unless you load their web site in Mail. No other email will provide them any information unless you act upon it by clicking on a link in the message.

If you allow Mail to load remote content, it will load it if the pan is 1% open or 100% open. If it is closed, it won't load any part of the message.

While on the subject....Some may see being counted in click thru as innocent and for the most part it is but by being passive one falsifies the validity of the information advertisers and their agencies use to determine the cost effectiveness of the email campaign they run.

Not sur what that means. The marketing that pushes such emails should be collecting data on their response rate (or non-response rate) otherwise they cannot sell their scheme.

We all get too much email and this is a way to reduce it. Relevance is important to advertisers and if we continue to let them believe we were interested in their email to open it they will continue to send it to us.

I really would love a feature in Mail that allowed opt in for Preview on a message to message basis. If I can select multiple messages for deletion why not give me the ability to default Preview Off and then select those messages I want to Preview?

As already mentioned, by disabling loading of remote content, you have message by message control over their tracking ability.

How do I turn off the preview pane in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.