Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Am I using Data even when on Wi-fi?

I called AT&T about possible changing my plan. I currently have unlimited data and text and 700 minutes that I share with another line. I got a text today that I was ove my minutes and am now using rollover until my billing cycle ends on 4/9. I think I use more minutes then data. According to AT&T, my data usage was less than 1/2 G. My current plan with 2 iPhones is about $150/mo, but I get FAN discounts. They offered me a plan for $82/mo for both phones with my discount for unlimited talk, text and 2 GB of data. I hate to give up my unlimited data, but the savings is signifigant and I never knew I was using date when connected to wi-fi 😕 Is that true? If so, I guess I really don't use that much. The girl said I would need to go into my Cellular Data option and turn it off when on wi-fi to not use any data through my plan.

Thanks

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 6:40 PM

9 replies

Mar 27, 2014 7:18 PM in response to trlyka

The statement about using cellular data while on wi-fi is not true. You are not using cellular data when on wi-fi. What made you think you were using that, what this CS rep told you? The only time that you use cellular data is when you are away from wi-fi, or if you use push or fetch email, it will use a small amount until the phone wakes up and connects back to wi-fi.

Mar 27, 2014 7:22 PM in response to BossMan4293

I can't imagine that the iPhone isn't smart enough to use only wi-fi when available. Since wi-fi is so readily available in so many places, it doesn't make sense that you would need to change a setting to make sure you aren't using data through the network. I will probably call AT&T again and ask to confirm.

Thanks

Mar 27, 2014 7:24 PM in response to trlyka

Everything except calls will use wi-fi if it is available and you are connected to it as I said in my earlier post. The phone does default to wi-fi when connected. Again the only time you go to cellular when connected to wi-fi is when the phone goes to sleep, but it will connect back to wi-fi when awakened. AT&T will tell you all sorts of things, since most are not really aware.

Mar 28, 2014 7:47 AM in response to BossMan4293

While a call uses a cellular signal, it does not use cellular data. There is a difference between calling minutes, and data allowance. Calls are in minutes, data is in bytes, subtracting from the total allowance.

My AT&T plan has unlimited calling and text, however we share a 10GB data plan. The family can make all the phone calls they want, do all the texting they want, however once you get into data, we then start subtracting from the 10GB allowance. However, when connected to wi-fi, that does not use cellular data and does not affect the allowance.

Mar 28, 2014 8:01 AM in response to trlyka

A few caveats: Any app you get from AT&T will use data even if you are on wifi, though it's not likely to be much. For example, if you use their app to check your usage, it will use their data. I deleted it. Depending on how strong your wifi signal is, your phone may lose it while using data, in which case it will switch to cellular, and you may not notice. It's also possible to do something stupid like turn off your home wifi for vacation, come home, and begin updating apps without turning on wifi again (experience speaking). I recommend getting an app that will monitor your data usage and give you an audible warning if you go over x%. I use DataMan Pro. Having said all of this, if you don't do much streaming and aren't using maps daily while on cellular, you probably don't have much to worry about with 2GB.

Am I using Data even when on Wi-fi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.