Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There’s a ghost in my computer ... and it is not Steve Jobs

In 1986, the MSX Gradient arrived in Brazil and it was my first computer. Since then, I went through all PC stages - from DOS to Windows - and three years ago I finally surrendered to the MacBook Pro, entering into a completely new world for me. A world that my brother (who signs this text with me) had known since 2006 and that seduced me because it promised perfect backups, easy file recovery, and full immunity against virus and malware attacks.

My satisfaction was such that I decided to upgrade the machine. On January 31 I put a 1T Samsung HD and two Kingston 4GB DDR-3 memory cards. This allowed me to finally transfer 460 GB of songs from my library to the computer. On March 1, I upgraded iTunes 11.1.5 and my nightmare gradually began... and my hopes of being with an ‘everything-proof’ equipment were all shaken. From day to night ,65,000 songs disappeared on my iTunes - and not just on the HD, but also on the TimeMachine backup.

Soon after the upgrade, iTunes started to freeze and face the need of a forced shut down. But back then, I had no idea it could be a problem from the the update. Then, I started feeling there was a cold shadow looming behind my back ... and last Saturday, I decided to restore the computer, imagining a disk fragmentation on imports of songs (something I was accustomed to when using computers I had prior Mac). I created a new backup and did a restore (Command R). But when it ended, not only 80% of the songs were gone, as there were still missing files from transfers that I had done in those same weeks! And when I went to the iTunes' music folder in TimeMachine, I only found 46 GB of them ... panic, terror, despair ... and a question: is this really a Mac?!

In Brazil, I could not find any reference to iTunes 11.1.5 problems, but in these communities https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5943168?tstart=0 and https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5981245?answerId=25124369022#25124369022 I discovered that there was a bug in iTunes: apparently Apple released new a version without being attentive to all possibilities of error - something I’ve seen a competitor do so many times for decades! And now, iTunes get in conflict with the iBook ... and, then, I felt that ghost getting closer to me.

My brother used the procedures described in http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/13/delete-itunes-in-mac-os-x-10-7-lion/ to delete the iBook. And since Monday we are re-importing my music to the HD ... but iTunes has crashed again and that ghost has finally reached my computer.

Moreover, I could not find out what might have happened with TimeMachine (Iomega 1T). I suspect that it stopped doing full backups of my computer after I inserted my music library. And the fact is that in no time was this library really saved - except for that fact that I have preserved the original HD where my music came from. This means that, again, I have to back up the backup, something I learned to do since computers only stored information on 720 Kb disks... and this ghost that took possession of my Mac now has a name: Bill!

Fernanda Suhet e Rubens Suhet

PS - English is not my native language and this translation is reviewed by Daniel de Castro

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 6:43 PM

There are no replies.

There’s a ghost in my computer ... and it is not Steve Jobs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.