Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

replacing old imac G5

My old G5 is finished. I use it mainly to store photos and other things. Use a MacBook Pro for daily use.

I'm not sure what to replace G5 with. Love the big screen on the G5 (Pro has 13"), and I have thousands of photos with more coming.

I don't want to pay a lot for something I don't need.

I know my Pro is good, but I don't want to transfer all those photos to it. So I suppose I should get ??? can't decide.

Anyone care to give me a suggestion.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 9:51 PM

13 replies

Mar 31, 2014 9:45 PM in response to Arudi

I talked to someone at the Apple Store and she told me to unplug the old imac from the backup hd and connect it to the MacBook Pro and transfer everything to it.

That really makes me nervous because of all the photos etc. My mbp has 2 GB memory.

Does this sound like a good thing to do?

Apr 10, 2014 10:39 AM in response to Klaus1

If you only have your photos in one place, you are in a bad situation. The sooner you have multiple copies, the better off you will be.

I buy 16gig flash cards for my camera. When filled, I get another. Never delete. I rename the photo directory on the card so the camera doesn't see the saved photos.

Memory size (RAM):

the (blue) Apple icon > About this Mac

User uploaded file

Notice my memory size is 1 GB of SDRAM.

Disk space

Double click on your startup drive. This is the disk like icon on your desktop.

User uploaded file

The amount of free space is at the bottom. Mine is 76.85 GB available.

Robert

Apr 10, 2014 10:11 PM in response to rccharles

If the Mac's memory is only has 1 GB, how can there be 76.85 GB left?

I have photos on old G5 (which is on it's last leg), and that G5 has an external harddrive. So I have been told to disconnedt that harddrive and connect it to the MacBook Pro and import the photos to the mbp.

I have a G-drive backup for the mbp.

You are using your 16gig card with your camera.I don't know how to do that, with renaming the photo direcctory and all, but I could put photos on computer, then transfer them from the mbp to the flash card. Then I would have three backups. Does that make sense?

Is there a paticulair 16gig flash card I should buy? One better than another?

Thanks so much.

Apr 11, 2014 12:14 PM in response to Arudi

That is simple. You have to different pieces of hardware.

memory / system memory / ram -- is fast memory for temporary storage. It is used to improve the performance of your computer and used in all computers. Does not survive turning off your computer.

Disk Storage / Macintosh HD / harddrive -- is a permanant storage space. The data survives your turning off your computer. As all hardware does, hardware breaks. Typically, harddrives last three to five years.

This may help you copying the photos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgClXnvUaCc

Apr 16, 2014 6:17 AM in response to Arudi

Robert's suggestion is probably the best for a replacement, if you already have a good monitor, and you don't want to or need to invest in a new one. Get the most powerful processor, largest SSD drive and most memory you can afford in a Mac Mini. iMacs have a built-in monitor.

If you really want to plunk down a lot of money and have a top of the line machine, the new Mac Pro would really cook. But it is probably more than you are looking for.

Good luck.

Apr 16, 2014 2:17 PM in response to rccharles

Thank you so much.

Your explanations were so clear, I understood the difference at once.

Googled Ram vs Harddrive and they also explained — using the desk as an example.

Also the iphoto website will help me, I am sure. Looked at site, but have't worked with photos yet.

It is a relief to know the difference in ram and harddrive; I have been wondering about that for so long.

replacing old imac G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.