Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to exit OS X Utilities?

Hi! so ok.. I just bought my Macbook Pro in Oct. and one day, it randomly froze and long story short I had to send it in to replace the hard drive. So I just picked it up today, opened it, and it was on the regular start-up desktop. When I brought in the laptop for repair, I gave them my external hard drive, hoping whoever replaced the HD would restore my files for me, but they didn't. I've never had to do this before, so I just opened up Time Machine and looked around.. and I ended up having to go to Google for help. Someone somewhere suggested that when restoring all of your files from an external HD, you should use OS X Utilities, so I shut it down and went for it. I tried restoring from my last back up 3 times, and each time it would start the restoration, and with only a few minutes left I would receive an error telling me to restart and try again. So I gave up on that and tried to close Utilities so I could go back to the regular desktop and fool around on there :-( but it's just not happening. I've tried clicking the apple logo in the upper left corner, and clicking "start up disk" (no options appear), and same goes for file > close. I really can't figure it out and I feel dumb. I want to get out of here so I can try out Migration Assistant or even just manually drag my files out of my external HD. I also tried holding down the "option" key when restarting, and I have the options of "boot", "my passport (external hd)", or "recovery" and they all led me to OS X Utilities. I went into Disk Repair, thinking maybe the problem wasn't fixed but I've verified everything on the list, and it all seems to be okay? Apple support chat was no help either. :-( Despite having owned Macbook laptops since 2007 I'm still pretty clueless.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 9:56 PM

9 replies

Mar 28, 2014 6:16 PM in response to BobRz

I disconnected my external HD and held down the option key when restarting. I had two options - 'EFI Boot' and 'Recovery - 10.9.2'.. when clicked, both lead me to OS X Utilities. I don't see anything to reinstall OS on that page. I have the option in Utilities to Reinstall OS X, but when I try that and login with my apple ID, it says "This Apple ID has not purchased Lion. Sign in with ID that was used to purchase OS X Mavericks" I never bought OS Mavericks soo. Hopefully I'm not misunderstanding your advice :-(

Mar 28, 2014 6:28 PM in response to amms

Well, we've verified you erased the internal drive which is what I wanted to know. So when you picked this machine up it had a new hard drive but couldn't boot up? It sounds like they'd put Mavericks on it for you. The problem is that since you didn't download Mavericks with your Apple ID it won't let you install. This is a bit of a mess at this point. Do you have access to another Mac? If you can log in and download a copy of Mavericks using your Apple ID, you should be able to proceed. Once you do that it'll recognize your ID when you try to install.

Apr 6, 2014 1:03 AM in response to BobRz

Hello again. I was finally able to download Mavericks using my Apple ID on another Mac, and when I went home and reinstalled OS X it went smoothly. After it finished and auto-restarted, the grey apple logo screen appeared as normal, but after an hour of waiting it didn't boot up so I tried restarting it.. and now every time I restart it brings me to the apple logo screen and is stuck there. I held the option key after restarting and it now gives me the Macintosh HD option as well as the Recovery option. But yeah, just stuck on the apple logo/loading screen. :-(

Apr 6, 2014 4:01 AM in response to amms

It sounds like maybe the problem wasn't with your hard drive, but maybe with the SATA cable. That's what connects the drive to the motherboard. There's an easy way to test this, which is to move the drive to an external enclosure. If it works there, the cable is bad. Did they give you the original hard drive back?

Was it Apple that did the repair? Either way, you should still be under warranty if this is a new machine.

Apr 6, 2014 4:19 AM in response to amms

That is because that other Mac doesn't include the proper driver set for your newer Mac. So the Mavericks download done on the other Mac won't work on the newer Mac.

You'll need to Reinstall the original Shipping version of OS X. To do that you need to boot to the Online Internet Recovery system. At startup hold down the Command + the Option/alt + the r keys and keep them held down until you see a globe on the screen. If you only have a Wifi connection from that Mac you'll need to Log Onto you WiFi connection so have the password for that handy. But if your Mac has an Ethernet port it ios best to Wire the system to your internet router.

Once the Online version of the Mac OS X Utilities loads use Disk Utility to Repartition the drive as one partition to remove all traces of anything that is still on the new HDD. You must really do that and not just Erase the Macintosh HD partition. You need to remove the Recovery HD partition created by the Mavericks install. That partition is hidden and can't be removed by just erasing the Macintosh HD partition.

Once that is done select the second option on the original Utilities screen, IE "Reinstall Mac OS X". The original version of OS X that came on that Mac when it was new will be downloaded and installed. From there you can then attempt to restore your system from the Time Machine backup using the Setup Assistant system when the system restarts for the first time, after the OS X install. Or let it boot and do all lthe setup stuff thenn download Mavericks from the Mac App Store and then once that is completed use the Migration Assistant to copy over all your apps, settings and files from the TM backup.

amms wrote:

Hello again. I was finally able to download Mavericks using my Apple ID on another Mac, and when I went home and reinstalled OS X it went smoothly. After it finished and auto-restarted, the grey apple logo screen appeared as normal, but after an hour of waiting it didn't boot up so I tried restarting it.. and now every time I restart it brings me to the apple logo screen and is stuck there. I held the option key after restarting and it now gives me the Macintosh HD option as well as the Recovery option. But yeah, just stuck on the apple logo/loading screen. :-(

Unable to exit OS X Utilities?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.