Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro keeps freezing.

I have a 13" MacBook Pro (mid 2010) running mavericks. Recently I've had a great amount of trouble because it keeps freezing while I use it. The spinning ball shows up and the trackpad and keyboard become unresponsive for 10 seconds to even several minutes. It's really frustrating and I have to force quit, or manually shut down my macbook when force quit doesn't work. Is anyone else experiencing these problems? I took my macbook in to the apple store and they didn't detect a hardware or software issue and they wiped my disk clean and reinstalled mavericks and I'm still getting the same issue. HELP!!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 10:41 PM

1 reply

Mar 28, 2014 7:27 AM in response to FranklinS2

When you have the problem, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Scroll back to the time you noted above. Select the messages entered from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat, whichever comes first. Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough. It is never necessary or helpful to post more than about 100 lines. "The more, the better" is not the rule here.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

MacBook Pro keeps freezing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.