Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Won't Boot

My mid 2012, 2.5 ghz macbook won't boot up past the logo and spinning gear screen. This all started yesterday when my google chrome crashed and wont relaunch. I tried rebooting/shutting it down but nothing happened, so i did a hard restart. I've tried disk repair in recovery mode, resetting SMC/PRAM, and using the command

/sbin/fsck –fy

in single user mode. All indicated that my drive was ok. It wont boot up in safe mode, the progress bar goes about half-way until it disappears from the screen and im only left with the spinning gear.

NOTE: I am using a samsung evo 840 ssd. I replaced the stock hard drive after my laptop continuously froze and occasionally giving me the questionmark folder or prohibitory sign during start up. It worked fine for like 2 weeks, with the exception of kernel panics "waking up from hibernation", but i didnt think anything of it. so now im beginning to suspect maybe it is the sata cable, but how when disk utility is able to recognize my ssd?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 12:39 AM

13 replies

Mar 28, 2014 2:55 AM in response to E-Rager

The SATA cable is a good suspect. It may be that when a lot of data is transferred that the problem shows itself. An easy way to test this is to move the drive to an external enclosure. If it works fine from there, the SATA cable is probably the problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-Inch-Aluminum-Enclosure-EC-TB4P/dp/B005EIGUD4/ ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1396000495&sr=8-3&keywords=2.5+enclosure

Mar 30, 2014 3:51 PM in response to E-Rager

It froze while in the enclosure? That shouldn't happen. Two suggestions. Post an etrecheck report here so we can get a look at what your computer is running. The other is to buy another hard drive if we don't find anything in the etrecheck report. They're cheap, and worst case you end up with a backup drive when we're all done with this.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

I just reread your original post. I forgot you had an SSD. I'm wondering if you have a problem there too. It makes no sense that it would freeze in the enclosure.

Mar 31, 2014 3:39 AM in response to E-Rager

USB is going to be a lot slower than if the drive were in the machine, whether it's the hard drive or the SSD. The bigger concern is the freezing. It shouldn't do that at all, which makes me think there's some kind of software issue. That could be anything from a defective OS X install to running some junkware that's causing this. I suggest you run etrecheck, take it in for an eval, or do a clean install. If it's failing outside the machine, it's not the SATA cable. Or at least not just the SATA cable.

Mar 31, 2014 9:53 AM in response to BobRz

Hardware Information:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro9,2

1 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 CPU: 2 cores

4 GB RAM

Video Information:

Intel HD Graphics 4000 - VRAM: 1024 MB

System Software:

OS X 10.9.2 (13C64) - Uptime: 0 days 0:0:22

Disk Information:

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS31N

USB Information:

Apricorn EZ Upgrade 3.0 120.03 GB

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted>: 209.7 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / [Startup]: 119.17 GB (91.79 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted>: 650 MB

Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

FireWire Information:

Thunderbolt Information:

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Launch Daemons:

[System] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist 3rd-Party support link

[System] com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist 3rd-Party support link

[System] org.macosforge.xquartz.privileged_startx.plist 3rd-Party support link

Launch Agents:

[System] com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist 3rd-Party support link

[System] org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist 3rd-Party support link

User Launch Agents:

[not loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist 3rd-Party support link

User Login Items:

iTunesHelper

Internet Plug-ins:

SharePointBrowserPlugin: Version: 14.0.0 3rd-Party support link

Silverlight: Version: 5.1.30214.0 - SDK 10.6 3rd-Party support link

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: Java 8 Outdated! Update

Default Browser: Version: 537 - SDK 10.9

Safari Extensions:

Searchme: Version: 1.2

Audio Plug-ins:

BluetoothAudioPlugIn: Version: 1.0 - SDK 10.9

AirPlay: Version: 2.0 - SDK 10.9

AppleAVBAudio: Version: 203.2 - SDK 10.9

iSightAudio: Version: 7.7.3 - SDK 10.9

iTunes Plug-ins:

Quartz Composer Visualizer: Version: 1.4 - SDK 10.9

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Java 3rd-Party support link

TeXDistPrefPane 3rd-Party support link

Old Applications:

SLLauncher: Version: 1.0 - SDK 10.5 3rd-Party support link

/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Silverlight/OutOfBrowser/SLLauncher.app

Time Machine:

Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU:

7% EtreCheck

6% WindowServer

3% mds_stores

2% hidd

1% Google Chrome

Top Processes by Memory:

74 MB Google Chrome

57 MB mds_stores

37 MB Google Chrome Helper

33 MB Dock

33 MB WindowServer

Virtual Memory Information:

2.31 GB Free RAM

1.03 GB Active RAM

162 MB Inactive RAM

512 MB Wired RAM

235 MB Page-ins

0 B Page-outs

Jul 2, 2015 11:24 PM in response to BobRz

I have a Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro and had some major issues with it. It started when I would get the spinning beachball constantly and it would be abnormally slow for the computer to process anything I was doing. Sometimes up to a minute for it to register that I clicked a link or several minutes for it to open an application. I tried all the fixes I could. Tested in a new user, reset PRAM, cleaned out my hard drive, and even clean installed my operating system(which took upwards of 6 or 7 hours to install). After all of this, and lots of research on the discussion boards, I came to the conclusion it was a hardware issue. I decided to try replacing the hard drive first. It was the quickest, easiest, and cheapest place to start. I bought a hard drive off of Amazon that was larger and faster than my previous hard drive. I saw this as a great opportunity to upgrade. It wasn't expensive, around $70. I installed it in the computer and installed the operating system OS X Yosemite. It seemed to work. I no longer had the spinning wheel all of the time and my computer seemed to be back to normal......Until I went to start it up, wake it up from sleep, shut it down, or restart it. Most of the time I would get the "do not enter" or prohibitory sign when starting it up. Sometimes I would get the folder with the question mark, and then after resetting the PRAM several times and resetting the SMC, eventually it would start up and load the operating system. I searched and searched for answers through discussion groups and even visited some Apple stores, official and 3rd party, and kept finding that the logic board could be the issue. This didn't make sense to me because when the computer would actually start, it would run fine until it went to sleep or I had to restart it. As long as I kept it awake at all times, it worked. This was terribly inconvenient! Finally, deep in a discussion board that I can't seem to find again(or I would write a heartfelt thank you to the person who posted it) I found a solution!!! That person stated that the cables that connect the hard drive to the logic board in Macbook Pros are notorious for not being able to handle a higher performance hard drive. I bought a new cable, making sure it was made for my computer specifically, and since I was out of warranty on mine, making sure it was not the same one that originally came installed in my computer, and installed it. Viola! It worked! No more startup issues! No more issues with waking up from sleep or shutting down! I hope this helps someone else out there who is having the same problems I was. It took me months of research and reading to finally get the answer I needed.

So, abnormal slow performance? Spinning wheel constantly? You have tried all the software troubleshooting steps? Probably the hard drive.

Did you upgrade the hard drive (HDD)? Are you getting the prohibitory sign or folder with a question mark? Tried all the software troubleshooting steps? Try a new hard drive connecting cable. They are very inexpensive and easy to install yourself.

Good Luck!!

Macbook Won't Boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.