Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm still working with snow leopard, now maverick is on offer - do I need to upgrade to lion first?

Just got the offer to upgrade 'for free' to maverick - the catch is it only works if you have lion. I have snow leopard. Any thoughts and recommendations?

I'm getting confused here what is a good idea for an upgrade and what isn't. I don't want to end up not being able to use applications because the OS have moved on I didn't upgrade in time to whatever OS that makes sense.

I'm also reluctant to change OS because I don't want to upset the apple cart. All is working well at the moment, I don't need disruptions to any programmes. I also have a Macbook Air that needs to communicate seemlessly with my Macbook Pro. So I cannot afford to mess them around with upgrades.

Any helpful hints or links appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 2:39 AM

10 replies

Mar 28, 2014 8:36 AM in response to ravenowl

You may be able to keep 10.6.8 by partitioning your drive in two, leaving Snow as is in one partition and then installing 10.9 in the newly created one. That way you can dual boot both. BTW, I would recommend getting Mountain Lion, not 10.9, since 10.9 appears to still be a work in progress.

Mar 28, 2014 2:34 PM in response to ravenowl

Everyone, thanks for the tips so far!

Seventy one, you lost me at PPC - what are we talking about in non techie speak? I'm very much self taught and my level of expertise in coumputers is very limited (anybody remember the green and amber writing on the screen? That was the last time I got trained for anything 🙂)

WZZZ, I was thinking about Lion, is there really an advantage (would I have to install on both Pro and Air? Could I use my Air for example to test drive any or all of the suggested ideas, it is only secondary, has only dropbox files or programmes that come with the package and are also on the Macbook. So if I had to wipe it completely I wouldn't loose anything).You and Eric Root gave me the idea of using the secondary Air as a guinea pig.

Why Lion guys, what are the advantages in your view, I work a lot on simple texts, use Photoshop for pics and dabble in creating my own drag and drop website. So nothing exciting or very techie. Do I even need any of the newer stuff if the 'old' stuff is working fine? I'm a great believer in if it ain't broke don't fix it but also don't want to end up with problems because I didn't upgrade in time.

Speaking of which, a brody had a look at the docs - unfortunately way over my head but if I get stuck somewhere I'll have another look.

Thanks again for your help!

Mar 28, 2014 2:45 PM in response to ravenowl

PPC is Power PC, a processor made by IBM, that Apple has discontinued long ago. But there are apps that ran from that processor. They were supported by a PPC emulating environment called Rosetta, through Snow Leopard, and discontinued beginning with Lion.

Mountain Lion, if you can run it, is much to be preferred to Lion. Google "system requirements" for that.

Mar 28, 2014 2:59 PM in response to ravenowl

Following onto A Brody's comments about Rosetta is another document written by him ...

Is my iMac an iMac PPC or Intel?: Apple Support Communities

The question of which is best is subjective and people taking one side or the other are guided by their personal viewpoints in what they say.

In your case you would have to weigh up the value of whatever apps you currently have with your older and soon to be unsupported OS ... against the cost of replacing them (where you can) to meet the needs of the more modern Lion Family and Mavericks OSs. It's down to money.

Mar 28, 2014 4:19 PM in response to ravenowl

Thanks for the explanation WZZZ!

Since the laptop is about the only real piece of kit that I use for work and communication its not just down to money. I need it to work...

Tried to figure out what I can or cannot upgrade - unfortunately I couldn't find my receipt to check when I actually bought my Macbook. I have therefore copied the basic info about my laptop here - does this tell me what I could theoretically upgrade to?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,4

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.49f2

Serial Number (system): W8******7XJ

Hardware UUID: ****

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

<Edited By Host>

Mar 29, 2014 1:52 PM in response to a brody

Ups, thanks for letting me know, brody - tells you just how not clued in I am. Just read an article about how SL will be retired soon anyway. Looks like I need to move onto another big cat any way - Mountain Lion sounds probably like the smartest choice since that is the newest (or Maverick if that works ok, at least that will give me some time until the next big thing trots along). Will probably get someone to help with making sure that I don't bungle anything.

Thanks everybody for your help!

I'm still working with snow leopard, now maverick is on offer - do I need to upgrade to lion first?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.