Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Snow Leopard Install Disc is not Readable

Hi guys

I'm having a spring clean on all the office machines at work, and when it comes down to working on the Mac Pro, I get a message saying the disc is unreadable. I've also tried remote install, and I don't get a boot-up option for the install, just the regular hard drive.

I thought it was because the OS currently installed is a later version, but it worked on the iMac (the Mac Mini is not Intel).

Thoughts?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 5:27 AM

9 replies

Mar 28, 2014 8:40 AM in response to Quin452

BOOTABLE and READABLE are two distinct issues.

That DVD should be able to be inserted under any version of Mac OS X and have Icons appear -- otherwise it (or your drive) is defective.

If you cannot BOOT from it, that is a completely different issue. That is likely because the Mac is too new to use the system from the DVD as a Boot System. It could also be that the disc is a model-specific version for a different model Mac. (These are known to NOT contain "drivers for every appropriate Mac".

Mar 28, 2014 10:52 AM in response to Quin452

Do you have an external DVD drive? If so, try plugging that into the Mac Pro and see if it boots from there. It seems to be one of three things, the drive is on its last legs, the disk is on its way to becoming unreadable or the Mac Pro can’t run the version of Snow Leopard on the disk. The last one can be checked by referencing MacTracker.

OS Snow Leopard Install Disc is not Readable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.