Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP MY IPOD 5G IS NOT CHARGING - not because of faulty USB cable

OK SO BASICALLY

- I have had my iPod 5th generation for two years now

- obviously my iPod has the newer chargers that are smaller and can be inserted either way

- never been damaged apart from a little bit of water getting in to the headphone socket - eventually fixed itself

- problem started in about June 2013 when USB cable's wires broke inside

- have been through about 5 chargers, each one lasting for a shorter amount of time than the next because I thought that it was the wires inside but I don't think it is

- used my brothers Belkin charger to see if my USB was the problem but his didn't work either

- have had one apple charger and 4 Belkin chargers

- I can only charge it sometimes when I push it in really far and bend it - which can't be good

- interestingly it seems to charge fine in the car's dock

- but it's not because of the power source or main thing that plugs into the wall because I have two of them and to happens on both

THE STORY GOES LIKE THIS. I was at my friend's house in around June 2013 and my charger stopped working for the first time and my iPod wouldn't charge. We both thought it was because the wires inside the charger looked like they had broken and been twisted. Later that day my mum and I went to JB HI FI where they sell apple products and the girl said it was because the wires had indeed been broken. We thought it was because of the new connection for new apple products with the USB that can be inserted either way and we thought I had been putting it in different ways every time, therefore twisting the wires and breaking them. However, it has kept on happening this past year and a bit now and I have been through 3 more chargers. Recently I got a new one because I thought the wires had broken again but as soon as I got it home it began getting worse and worse and now my iPod won't charge at all. However yesterday I charged it in the car without a problem like I have numerous other times and it was fine. Now it's at home and again it isn't charging. I need to use my iPod for music and photos and I'm very annoyed:((((

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 7.0.5

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 3:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 3:49 AM

Not Charge

- See:

iPod touch: Hardware troubleshooting

iPhone and iPod touch: Charging the battery

- Try another cable. The cable for 5G iPod (lightning connector) seems to be more prone to failure than the older cable.

- If a 5G iPod

Iphone 5 lightning port charging problem - SOLUTION!

- Try another charging source

- Inspect the dock connector on the iPod for bent or missing contacts, foreign material, corroded contacts, broken, missing or cracked plastic.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2014 3:49 AM in response to iKindaNeedHelp

Not Charge

- See:

iPod touch: Hardware troubleshooting

iPhone and iPod touch: Charging the battery

- Try another cable. The cable for 5G iPod (lightning connector) seems to be more prone to failure than the older cable.

- If a 5G iPod

Iphone 5 lightning port charging problem - SOLUTION!

- Try another charging source

- Inspect the dock connector on the iPod for bent or missing contacts, foreign material, corroded contacts, broken, missing or cracked plastic.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Mar 28, 2014 4:54 AM in response to iKindaNeedHelp

"You're having way too much fun!" Illaass is hard to trump, I mean there really is nothing to add. Your discription is very good, seems to be pointing toward a damaged lighting port. About the only thing you haven't tried is using canned air to blow out foreign material (like lint) out of the port. (And Illaass has that covered too). Sometimes that will prevent a solid connection, I really don't think it's your problem but you may want to give it a try. As for the car charger working and nothing else, I'm guessing it's tip maybe just a bit thicker or longer or it's pins standout a little more, something just enough to make contact. Go with Illaass' suggestions. But I'm guessing you'll end up at the Apple store. Good luck, Cheers.

Mar 28, 2014 2:52 PM in response to JEM24

Canned air. Yeah I read that in lllaaasss' thing but I wasn't sure if I completely understood what he was using. I've never even heard of canned air before but I'll give it a go.

As for the car charger, I'm really sorry if I was unclear, but the same charger I'm using at home works in the car. It's the exact same cord but it's connected to a little white dock thing that you stick into the pretend 'cigarette lighter'. If that makes any sense. Like where the cigarette lighter would have been in an old car, there's now a place to stick this white dock thing in and from there you can attach any USB.

I think you're right. I probably will end up at th Genius Bar.

Thank you:)

Mar 28, 2014 7:21 PM in response to iKindaNeedHelp

😁 "Canned air" It's just as it sounds a can of pressurized oil and moisture free air. You can find it at just about any electronics store or department. most often sold in a can about the size of pop can with a small plastic tube so you can direct the blast where you need it, generally under $10.00. Just follow the instructions on the can when you use it.

Just to be clear, when you say Charger are we talking about the device or the cable? In my mind when you say Charger I'm thinking the device that you plug into the wall or you computer, the power source. The cable has the USB connector on one end and a lighting plug on the other end, it's what plugs into your charger and the iPod. Have you been or ever used an Apple brand cable? Some have reported off brands not working as well. (Had to read your post a few times)... I'm changing my mind, now I'm thinking lint or something in the port may be your problem. Get the canned air and a wooden toothpick. With good lighting carefully probe the port with the toothpick, be very careful to not bend any of the metal contacts, and give a few 1 to 2 second blasts with the canned air, see if you can remove anything. Lint packed in the bottom of the port could interfere with connections and it would gradually get worse as the lint accumulates as you describe. If that doesn't solve problem, then it's off the see the wizard at Apple and have your iPod evaluated. Good luck, Cheers.

Mar 28, 2014 11:44 PM in response to JEM24

Oh ok thank you! I'll grab some.

By charger I mean the wire that has the lighting plug on one end (the small one) and the USB cable on the other that can connect into the computer etc.

well, I have used a skewer to see inside and even used a torch, but I'm not very technologically savvy so I can't tell if there actually is dust in the lighting port. However I obviously haven't used the canned air yet.

Thanks so much for your help and if this problem continues I will definitely go to the Genius Bar😀

HELP MY IPOD 5G IS NOT CHARGING - not because of faulty USB cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.