Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reproducible BSOD waking from sleep on Windows 8.1: igdkmd64.sys

Hello,

I'm experiencing reproducible BSOD's when waking from sleep under Windows 8.1 on an mid-2011 27" iMac.

Setup:

mid-2011 27" iMac12,2

Boot Camp 5.1.5621

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600

Steps to reproduce:

1) Let Windows to sleep (either by request, or after a period of inactivity)

2) Wake Windows (via keyboard or mouse)

3) Within 3-5 seconds, reliably crash into a BSOD with:

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED(igdkmd64.sys)

Additional information:

Under Device Manager > Display Adapters > Intel(R) HD Graphics:

Driver Provider: Intel Corporation

Driver Date: 1/28/2014

Driver Version: 9.17.10.3347

Last Windows Update applied (all updates current as of 3/28/2014):

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2919442) Installation date: 3/24/2014

Notes:

My understanding is that igdkmd64.sys is the driver for an Intel HD integrated graphics chip, which while ostensibly present on the i7-2600, is not enabled under Windows and may be unnecessary source of conflicts.

It is not (easily) possible to update the Intel HD graphics driver under Windows directly, as this is locked down by Apple as part of Boot Camp.

This problem only recently surfaced, after running Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 without issue for several months.

Preventing the machine from sleeping appears to postpone the BSOD indefinitely.

Non-working solutions:

Uninstalling the Intel(R) HD Graphics driver from Windows does not appear to address the issue.

Temporary workaround:

Under Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Edit Plan Settings:

Set Put the computer to sleep: Never

Any theories?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Windows 8

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 6:32 AM

5 replies

Mar 28, 2014 8:41 AM in response to turbostar

what changes to the machine were made prior to this issue? any windows or driver updates?

The only changes applied recently were automatic Windows Updates, which are current and up-to-date. The driver file itself has a timestamp of 1/28/2014, but the issue only started surfacing a week or so ago. Unfortunately I can't pin down exactly which Windows update was last applied before the crashes started.

Reproducible BSOD waking from sleep on Windows 8.1: igdkmd64.sys

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.