Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seeking audio interface advice.

Hi,

I'm on a 2013 MacBook Pro running 10.9.2 and Logic 9.2. I currently own a firewire Apogee duet that does not play well with Mavericks. Yes, I have the latest drivers. It works OK with Logic but the firewire bus causes issues with the startup (black screen) and doesn't work well with iTunes (Movies, TV) and the Maestro software is pretty useless with mavericks so it time to upgrade. Apogee, by the way, is not interested in giving me support because the interface is off warranty. So I do not want to buy Apogee again. It was probably higher-end than I actually needed anyway because I'm a hobbiest.

What I'd like to find is a two channel usb audio interface with decent specs that is known to play well with mavericks. Almost every interface I've looked into seems to have issues with Mavericks or is VERY expensive. Advice?

Thanks

Greg

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 6:38 PM

Just my 2 cents worth.. (and I have often harped on about this so forgive me if you have read this before...)

Why is it that users spend a couple of thousand on a Mac.. and couple of hundred on a DAW... more so on plugins and extras.. and then want to only spend a few bucks on their Audio interface?

Its like buying a 100K Ferrari... and then putting $50 tires on it... They will work.. but they limit the performance of the Ferrari to the point they might as well have bought a 20K salon car... and they will need to be replaced sooner rather than later... once you realize the limitations they impose on your enjoyment and full use of the Ferrari.

The reality is.. if you want everything to work and work well.. you have to buy a decent Audio/Midi interface that has well wrritten and well supported drivers.. and they do cost money.... There is simply no way around that.

A cheap USB2 audio interface simply isn't going to provide the quality and stability that is needed with a Pro bit of gear like Logic and a Mac.... It may work.. but don't expect anything great and be prepared for all kinds of issue to manifest themselves in the future.. like drivers not being updated in a timely manner for example..

Personally I use Motu gear.... mainly FW connected Ultralites.. because the Motu is well built.. has great quality drivers.. has been proven over time as reliable and stable..throughout the many changes and uypdates to OS X and Logic... and provides a reasonably high quality audio output for what Ive spent...

Just my opinion.. and others may vary!

Cheers..

Nigel

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2014 6:38 PM in response to Token Boomer

Just my 2 cents worth.. (and I have often harped on about this so forgive me if you have read this before...)

Why is it that users spend a couple of thousand on a Mac.. and couple of hundred on a DAW... more so on plugins and extras.. and then want to only spend a few bucks on their Audio interface?

Its like buying a 100K Ferrari... and then putting $50 tires on it... They will work.. but they limit the performance of the Ferrari to the point they might as well have bought a 20K salon car... and they will need to be replaced sooner rather than later... once you realize the limitations they impose on your enjoyment and full use of the Ferrari.

The reality is.. if you want everything to work and work well.. you have to buy a decent Audio/Midi interface that has well wrritten and well supported drivers.. and they do cost money.... There is simply no way around that.

A cheap USB2 audio interface simply isn't going to provide the quality and stability that is needed with a Pro bit of gear like Logic and a Mac.... It may work.. but don't expect anything great and be prepared for all kinds of issue to manifest themselves in the future.. like drivers not being updated in a timely manner for example..

Personally I use Motu gear.... mainly FW connected Ultralites.. because the Motu is well built.. has great quality drivers.. has been proven over time as reliable and stable..throughout the many changes and uypdates to OS X and Logic... and provides a reasonably high quality audio output for what Ive spent...

Just my opinion.. and others may vary!

Cheers..

Nigel

Seeking audio interface advice.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.