Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad WiFi keeps joining "forgotten" network.

Using iPads in an enterprise kiosk environment. Cisco enterprise wifi system with many nodes. Two SSIDs, one is advertised and is an open guest network. The other is hidden and using WPA2. The second is the one we need to use.

Occasionally a few random iPads decide to join the guest network instead of the configured network. We walk around, unlock them, go to settings, forget the guest network.

Day later they again connect to the guest network.

"Ask to join network" is unchecked.

These are latest iPad Airs running up to date software as of this posting.

iPad, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 8:17 AM

4 replies

Mar 29, 2014 10:37 PM in response to EricGA

Does the guest SSID have a password

If not I'd say the iPads are failing to authenticate on the assigned wifi and are finding the open guest network and joining it. That's why forgetting the guest network doesn't work

Could be the hidden SSID that's causing problems, can you test it without hiding the SSID

Or setup another unhidden SSID and see if you have the same problem

Anything in the Cisco wifi logs shed any light on what's going on

Mar 31, 2014 11:20 AM in response to iToaster

Guest SSID does not have a password. But technically, iOS should not join random networks, regardless of authentication settings, correct? I bet that even though the SSID is different, the BSSID is the same, and iOS is getting confused, but I have no evidence

Unfortunately, I have no access to the wifi logs.

iPad WiFi keeps joining "forgotten" network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.